• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R520 delayed and now this LOL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mort said:
IF the inquirer is right it does make ati look bad :(. I just hope when it comes out they punch nvidia in the stomach like they did with the 9700pro :cool:.

Agreed...But ATI better make it worth the wait for the consumers.

Well, I've been an ATI fan boy all my gaming life but am thinking of jumping ship right now. It's sad, but for only a few quid more I can step up from a 850 XT PE to a 7800gtx which I can then add a 2nd one to down the line.

Much as I have loved ATI, very tempting to go Nvidia.

It is looking very bad for ATI.....Delay of R520 boost sales of NV Q4.

Man it sucks :eh?: ...I am waiting for 2xR520's too. I hope I dont' have to wait until Q4??? I am very tempted to get 2xG70's but I do not think I will be happy with NV cause I sure ain't now. :rolleyes:

techun said:
how can u not be happy with two ultras...

1) Crap-a-dilly-iscious OC'ing....I'm doing good if I get 20mhz on the core...seriously
2) Game profiles...teh suck!
3) BY FAR, the biggest heat pump in my rig. I havent' ran my rig with the cover on since I got the 2 6800-u...I run them 24/7 with a 172mm fan blowing directly on them. If I do run my rig with the cover...i get heat artifacts in game...at stock.
4) Most of my games hang when loading (at default, W/newest drivers) and I have to do a warm reboot in order to game...HL2, D3, D3 R.O.E., Chronicles of Riddick, etc... except for BF2.
5) Official driver releases are very few and far inbetween. ATI does one per month.

Exhibit "A"....
DSCN0727.jpg

Exhibit "B"...
DSCN0728.jpg

Your honor, under the given information and factual evidence it is my hope that the court arives at the logical conclusion...NV SLI is teh-suck!! :p

"the most elegant thing for ATI is just to hold on to Crossfire until Fudo arrives. However, this extra time will do great things for ATI, since engineers now have time for a final set of tweaks that should help ATi to wipe the floor with SLI mop. Of course, that is the plan."

This is the funniest statement i've ever read :rolleyes:

I always assumed the SLi would make the inside of a case an oven.

Seems like ATI is making sure its core will be yummy and work right. Sucks they teased everyone. Would you rather have a delay or a crappy product? lol I think by having something to show, it gave folks reason to wait it out. Q4 though? Yeeesh talk about rushing for a trade show.

theenquirerer.net said:
However, this extra time will do great things for ATI, since engineers now have time for a final set of tweaks that should help ATi to wipe the floor with SLI mop.
I do not see humor in this statement, rather I see reality.

ATi dealt with the 6800 in the same way. Personally, I will wait with my x800 pro VIVO modded to X800 XT Pe @ 590/1215 until both Nvida and ATi silicon is out and I can test. I have no desire for dual graphics card rigs as they are too expensive and in no way are useful for my gaming endeavors.

ATi has deep enough pockets to deal with this event. Considering the OEM market and laptop share there is no doubt that this strategy might well work in the final analysis. The first horse out of the gate is not always the winner.

R

Really not looking to good for ATI this very moment - with the 520 delay a lot of us ATIFanboys might be tempted to switch over to NV - espcially that now it's clear that the X850XT Crossfire solution won't be enough to compete with the G70 SLI's -Q4 release could be too long for a lot of peeps to wait...

mikeguava said:
Really not looking to good for ATI this very moment - with the 520 delay a lot of us ATIFanboys might be tempted to switch over to NV - espcially that now it's clear that the X850XT Crossfire solution won't be enough to compete with the G70 SLI's -Q4 release could be too long for a lot of peeps to wait...

I cuncur mike

ropey said:
The first horse out of the gate is not always the winner.

R

yea well the horse that sits behind the gate the whole race isn't either.

krag said:
1) Crap-a-dilly-iscious OC'ing....I'm doing good if I get 20mhz on the core...seriously
2) Game profiles...teh suck!
3) BY FAR, the biggest heat pump in my rig. I havent' ran my rig with the cover on since I got the 2 6800-u...I run them 24/7 with a 172mm fan blowing directly on them. If I do run my rig with the cover...i get heat artifacts in game...at stock.
4) Most of my games hang when loading (at default, W/newest drivers) and I have to do a warm reboot in order to game...HL2, D3, D3 R.O.E., Chronicles of Riddick, etc... except for BF2.
5) Official driver releases are very few and far inbetween. ATI does one per month.

Exhibit "A"....
DSCN0727.jpg

Exhibit "B"...
DSCN0728.jpg

Your honor, under the given information and factual evidence it is my hope that the court arives at the logical conclusion...NV SLI is teh-suck!! :p

then something seems wrong... Mid Tower case with bad airflow? Ultra's are beasts at overclocking... it shouldn't hang at ALL.... have you tried setting that 172mm fan to an exhaust?

I currently own an Nvidia card, I don't consider myself a loyal Nvidia customer, I just want the best bang for buck no matter who makes the card. Afterall I pay for the card, I sure don't get any kickbacks for using either Ati's or Nvidia's product. I have been waiting to upgrade to see what Ati brings to the table. I just don't want to wait until lord knows when. Also, When I see the word "delay" to me it equals problems, Problems make me somewhat leery of jumping on the product when it first hits the market, While I wish Ati could offer something now, I do hope they do the right thing and resolve all the problems without feeling the pressure to just put something out to compete.
One thing is certain, The ball is in Ati's court and the pressure is on, Rumors have floated around for quite awhile that R520 was going to kick 78's rear, They really need to put something that clearly is superior on the market when it does launch.

SolidxSnake said:
then something seems wrong... Mid Tower case with bad airflow? Ultra's are beasts at overclocking... it shouldn't hang at ALL.... have you tried setting that 172mm fan to an exhaust?

i agree, something is wrong there krag :( pci-e ultras overclock like madmen.

I've been loyal to ATi since the original Radeon launched. I'm going to stick by them but I would really like to see the xfire and r520 hit the shelves this summer. Nvidia has very capable products out right now. I was beginning to think that with Nvidia and then AMD having actual products available at launch the industry was going to start getting away from these paper launches. Silly me I guess.

crimedog said:
i agree, something is wrong there krag :( pci-e ultras overclock like madmen.

O-K...I am up for recommendations. I have flashed bios for 1.5v and then reflashed back to default, updated Nv drivers with current new mobo, reformatted 4 times....anything left???

Back