• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a SD soon...some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

So I'm selling my 3500 NC to my friend for $230-$240 and getting an SD, and I've got a few questions:

Are 3800s and 3700s exactly the same, except the 8 is a 2.4 venice and the 7 is a 2.2 SD? Which is better? Why? Since I'm OCing, should I go with the 3700 or the 3800? I'm hoping for 2.7GHz, which I think is fairly reasonable on high end air, especially with what I've seen from the CABGE and xPAWs

Speaking of steppings, where should I get my chip from? Do certain vendors have better chips than others, or is it all pretty much random across the board?

Thanks for the help, guys!

If thats correct then i would definately go with the 3700 SD. 1024 l2 cache and should clock as well as a venice with half the l2 cache. If i were going for a venice i would either just get a 3000 or 3200 for the 10x multi as they are likely to clock just as well as higher end venice cpus.

AFAIK, the SD and Venice cores are exactly the same except for the cache. I'd go with the San Diego. It will OC about the same, and the extra cache is worth more than the 12x multiplier.

Otter said:
AFAIK, the SD and Venice cores are exactly the same except for the cache.
Thats the general consensus, but then there is the fact that there are 512k SDs. How those differ from venices is a completely different discussion.

LoneWolf121188 said:
Thats the general consensus, but then there is the fact that there are 512k SDs. How those differ from venices is a completely different discussion.
I think those are just regular SDs with half the cache disabled, probably because it's bad. OTOH, maybe they're part of an alien plot to take over the planet. :eek:

Back