• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about applying AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

For an athlon XP-M, is it better to use plastic and spread a thin layer over the core or place a small dab on the core and mount the sink, letting it spread the AS5. On arctic silver's site, it says to manually spread it, but wouldn't that create more air bubbles/pockets?

Put a small dab on the core of the cpu. Use an exacto knife or the clean edge of a credit card and spread it evenly over the cpu. Don't put any on the hs. If the hs is rough and not lapped very well, put a thicker layer, if it is lapped and very reflective, put a thinner more transparent layer.

Put a grain size on the middle put the HS slowly and wiggle it in a rotating motion(small degree) this way you will avoid airpocket.

Could the fact that I've been spreading the layer myself be the reason why my SI-97 are so rediculously high?

joelkyr said:
Put a grain size on the middle put the HS slowly and wiggle it in a rotating motion(small degree) this way you will avoid airpocket.

have you even READ the directions?

he is talking about a socket A system (open die)...

Arctic silver says to apply AS5/Ceramique with a clean razorblade/creditcard. They do NOT reccommend you put a small dot in the middle (doing your method has a risk of cracking the core or not getting the right amount of TIM around the CPU)

SolidxSnake is correct ...

Arctic Silver instructions for Athlon CPU :
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_small.htm
Only apply the thermal compound to the top of the actual CPU core. (Also known as the slug or die.) In the photo to the right it is the small raised blue rectangle in the middle of the Celeron II processor. On an AMD Duron or T-bird, it is the small raised rectangle in the center of the AMD processor.

Only a very small amount of Arctic Silver is needed on small CPU cores like Intel P3s and AMDs. Transfer about 1/2 the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/4 of a BB for small core CPUs.

7.For all Arctic Silver versions:
Spread the Arctic Silver thermal compound over the CPU core as shown in the photo to the right. The small amount from the photo in step 5 above has been carefully spread over the top of the core using a single edge razor blade. A razor blade or the clean edge of a credit card can be used as the application tool."

Only trying to make sure we all have the correct information as there seem to
be a lot of misconceptions going around.

Last edited:
Susquehannock said:
Only trying to make sure we all have the correct information as there seem to
be a lot of misconceptions going around.

So true. I seem to get pretty mad after I see some incorrect info as to how to apply it, even after the official Arctic Silver instructions have been read.

Back