• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink for AMD Mobile XP2600+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stars1234

Registered
This may be the wrong forum (better in AMD CPU?) but since you folks are the experts, I thought I'd start here. Please tell me if I should move the thread.

I need help in selecting a good heatsink & fan for my Mobile, AMD socket A, cpu.

I thought socket A was socket A, but according to AMD's web site, not so.

The heatsink plate must match the location of the thermal transfer plate on the CPU. AMD showed a picture of two socket A CPU's and sure enough, the bottom plates were in different places.

The result being, a heatsink for an AMD XP2500 Socket A, wouldn't necessarily work for an AMD XP2600 Socket A, and a Mobile would be even different. (this is going in a desktop & will be heavily OCed, if I can.)

My CPU is the 45 watt, AMD XP2600+ Mobile.

Can you help me with ideas on an air, HS & fan that will fit this particular CPU. I thought any socket A would work, but obviously, not. --Why couldn't socket A, be socket A? --it'd sure make things less complicated.

Thanks,
Bob

it should be a socket A is a socket A. I have a XP 2800+, 2500+ Barton, and a 2500+ Barton Mobile and the die is in the same place so just get a socket A compatable heatsink.

I haven't seen any issues using the same heatsink on a thoroughbred, Barton, and Barton XP-M. Done this before many times.

that said, if you can find a Thermalright SI-97A, I would go for it.

Thank you.

I thought socket A should be socket A.

I saw pictures of large Thermalrights on different mobos, including the ABIT NF7-S, which is what I have. It looked like it worked fine.

the AMD stuff was pointing out that the heat exchange plate on different CPUs are shaped differently/in a different location.

To get it to work right, the downpressure applied by the HS has to match the exact location/shape for that particular CPU. It sounded to me like they were really, "cutting corners."

I'm glad to know what works. Thanks.

It's :) on to a bolt on Thermalright for the AMD, then to my P4 Prescott.

Thanks again,
Bob

Back