• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid Xbox Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shard

to system link do you need a special cord? or is it just Cat5E? i tried to SL today and it didnt work, and i want to know if it was one of the Xbox's fualt or my cable was wrong, it seems to be the same plug, but i am not sure

thanks

yes, crossover. there are guides (google it) that show you how to make a cat5 into a crossover cable... otherwise they're really expensive. :)

Its very easy, I made a s**** load of crossover cables at my work.

CHECK HERE

You will also need a CRIMPER to make one. Check the link that I provided above if you are interested in buying one. That's the one I use.

Last edited:
Or you could just use a router as a hub or just a regular hub with cat5e cable. I have a bunch of linksys hubs laying around that I used to use for system link.

just any hub? i might be able to find one for 5 bucks, or do i have to have a switching hub.

and i should have thought about it needing a crossover cable, but at the same time, i am not very network litterate, but i am getting there, thanks

and is there ANY way to do that without a crimper? or can i get crimpers for cheaper? i am NOT going to pay that much for something that i will not use that often (yet) we will see

otherwise they're really expensive.

You got screwed.

Run down to the local Best Buy and just find a nice long cable, my 18' cable cost me $3. If you're really not good with cable names then either a) write down exactly what you need before you leave or b) look for the cables that are colored orange.

3bucks for an 18incher ?! i went to bestbuy a month ago lookin for a cross over :'( they only had those over prices geeksquad ones for like 20bucks

Back