• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600+ Multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PopeOnDope

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm new to overclocking, so go easy on me.

Anyway, I need to know which setting is better, a low fsb+ high multiplier or a high fsb with a low multiplier. I'm running this cpu on OCZ 2100 memory, so its kinda old.

right now i'm running the processor at 11 x 210= 2310. (at standard vcore)

My temps are at around 56 idle, 58 under load. I'm getting a volcano heatsink to help cool it more efficently.

-Thanks
Steve

CanadianTSi said:
High FSB is better, I don't see how PC2100 memory can do 210fsb though?

It's probably not stable, or maybe he thinks PC2100=210 MHz stock. Having "onDope" in his nick also makes you wonder, lol.

get the highest possible fsb and lower those temps!! I suggest against the volcano HS, go for a Si-97

Memory bus is 139.98 so it's not running 1:1 with the cpu. I doubt it makes any difference how high your cpu frequency is if you run out of sync. with your ram. Try running some benches at different combinations.

Well, is running out of sink a real killer to performance? I had no idea i was even running this way. If i want to correct this problem, how could i and what problems would i face?

Golflad said:
PC 2100 is 266 mhz stock and may OC slightly higher depending....

Wrong!!! It's 133 mhz. (DDR rate 266) (133x2) Set the FSB to literally 266 mhz and it probably won't even POST and BIOS corruption is likely.

Don't say that I didn't warn you, because if you ignore this post and proceed, you're PROBABLY are going to be sorry then you're probably going to blame it on the motherboard being faulty and RMA it when that's false or you're forced to replace the BIOS chip.

Last edited:
PopeOnDope said:
Well, is running out of sink a real killer to performance? I had no idea i was even running this way. If i want to correct this problem, how could i and what problems would i face?

ONLY if the FSB frequency is higher than the RAM or vice-versa. I gotten wording that performance suffers when not using 1:1!!!

Thus, even 133x18.0 is still better than using a high FSB with a divider!!!

Yeah your RAM is really not doing you any favours even value PC3200 would be worthwhile IMHO. The fact you are not running in sync is an absolute performance killer for all Non A64 AMD cpus. Your other option is to have a FSB of around 140 - 150 with a multiplier around 15 however your motherboard (you never said which one you had might not support the higher multis) whereby the 8x bit has to be set to high for all multis over 12.5.
BTW Welcome to the forums!
Edit just noticed you have an MSI mobo on a Via chipset - dont think that supports the higher multis without actual manipulation of the cpu itself, by that I mean altering the L3 bridges or bridging some cpu pins.
See here for how to do it.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=279392
I strongly recommend better RAM.

Last edited:
Ok, so if i manage to set the multiplier to 15 or so by like 133-140, this problem will correct itself?

Yes, you obviously lose out on the additional potential bandwidth/performance better RAM gives however running at those settings is better than running out of sync as you are doing at present.

Damn, can't hit the high multiplier with out a ridiculous (1.775+) vcore. I guess I'll just run out of sync for now.

Btw.....
I'm getting about 6100 in 3dMark03 right now. If I improve the memory to PC3200 what scores could i be seeing? I would remove the other sticks and run 512x2 in dual channel.

Here's the specs if need be:

2600+ M @ 2.4 ghz
1 GB DDR Ram (512 PC2100, 256 PC2100, 256 PCI2700)
9800 PRO @ 420 core 375 memory

Thanks I really appreciate all the help guys.

Even if you tossed out the 768Mb of PC2100 and stuck with the 256Mb of PC2700 it would be an improvement on what you have! At least then you could run FSB at 166 to 175 with a multi of say 12.5 in sync.
3DM03 is heaviliy graphics dependent so not a good choice for comparisons of cpu.

Back