• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TT Super orb.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rulle

Registered
Does someone have anuthing to say about the "Thermal take supr orb" ... just checking to see what others out there think...

Red....ahem....two words? Dragon Orb?

Anyways, about the Super Orb, I heard it's pretty good.The werd thing is that it's had mix reviews.

Cluboc.net has said that it's pretty bad, and the fins are a problem (two spaced out or somethin)

And the other reviews have stated that it does very well.

The Super Orb is available in Ottawa for 44$ Canadian. But....for 5 bucks more, I can buy the Dragon Orb 3. I really suggest you buy the Dragon Orb 3. It's one of the top coolers for AMD. There are better of course, but it's a very good competitior. Don't flame me on this one guys, cuz Swiftech, Alphas, and OCZs aren't available where I live.

Buy the Super Orb if you have either a ton of money/no other choices

It's better then nothing, but for it's price and performance there are better

It's acceptable if you're not planning on doing any overclocking. Otherwise look into some other options. It does do a bit better than the OEM hsf...but it's not really good enough to do much more than stock speed.

I disagree! ...heh...I feel so big saying that

I'm running on a Volcano 6CU+, cheap about 15 bucks US, it's not a very good cooler and has a rating of about .27 C/W, but it still keeps my temps sub 43 Celcius while I'm running a Duron 950 @ 1155.

It's not the best, but I have to upgrade my mem and other stuff be4 I can start getting some more Mhz out of my cpu

As person, still in possesion of a Super Mini Orb, and a person who "borrowed" a Super Orb from a friend's machine I was servicing. I can still, honestly, say they the stats of both over a stock AMD HSF, are minimal. Using both, with the generic grease that came with them, took my T-bird 900 for the mid-40s. These are temps you usually see on 1.2GHz+. My Thunderbird is stock, not overclocked, not modified in any way. Contact between the die and the HSFs' base was as good as it gets and it still heated up to the mid-40s.

As for the Dragon Orb 3, IT IS LOUD. You can visit any forum, even here, and people are still asking "Anyway to quiet down a DO3?", some asking if putting the fans on a rheostat was possible.

Another thing, Thermaltake does not make any of their heatsinks. Fans are from Titan Computers and the heatsinks are from Huey Shyiang, or however you spell it. This was brought to light when many orbs leaked out with the stamp on the clip saying Huey Shyiang, instead of Thermaltake. People thought it was a knockoff, it was not. Thermaltake is merely a front, they take the products Titan and Huey Shyiang make and market them, that's all Thermaltake does.

You can get a MUCH better heatsink for MUCH less.

~RT~

i agree orbs are overated if u'r overclocking .. i didn't think so at first and i bought them merely for looks and they didn't do a damn thing as far as cooling my cpu to make it oc'ed higher .. couple that with the noise it makes you can term it the loud and the useless .. a coke can cut into fins with a delta could have cooled the chip better.

if u want to keep u'r chip stock and not oc'ed it, i suppose its adequate but get an swifty, sk-6, or an alpha and u'll be much happier

ORBS DO SUCK. I speak from experince. I thought "WOW, 2 high speed fans!!". Stuck it in my system an it totaly cr@ped. It was running barly with-in the processor temp. limits.

Now the orbs fans are taken out an the base is now used as a candled holder/pencil holder/paper weight. :p

The only good thing about orbs is their look. But cooling performance really lacks. The Dragon Orb is not THAT bad , but considering it´s size and weight and noise it should do MUCH better.

How loud is the DO3? I have a TT Volcano 6CU+ with a 7000 RPM fan. Pretty much the delta clone that emits a loud wooshing noise. No high pitch squeals but for experimentings sake, I stuffed it in my closet. Covered it up with the case, wrapped 2 blankets, closed the door, and I could still hear it :(

Super Blorb!

I am the proud owner of a Huey Shiang Super Orb :p

But I made good use of it. If you have a blorb for your graphics cards (as many of you undoubtedly do) and a spare super orb laying around then here is a quick upgrade for ya:

-Remove fan from Sorb by removing screws at base
-Remove fan from Blorb by removing screws at base
-Install Sorb fan in Blorb, note the exact same hole scheme!

Now you have a blorb with a fan made to "cool" ;) a processor!
This allowed me to pump a little more speed out of my trusty gforce2pro, and it definatly allowed me to get some use out of that super orb. How many people can say that? :D

Flow said:
Orbs are kinda crap!
take a look at this:

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cooling/roundup0501/

Think that says enough.
BTW, the TT dragon orb is tested in their heatsink roundup of 06/2001 and is certainly not the big winner. But still, the dragon is A LOT better than their super orb. Hands down.

The reviews at hardocp and many other places aren't very reliable. They're actually more likely to misinform you than anything else. This is because they use the in socket thermistor for testing...and keep the room temperature the same. You can't control the temperature well enough for you not to take it into account when testing it, and you *REALLY* can't use the in socket thermistor for comparing different heatsinks, because the temperature on that largely influenced by secondary heat path cooling...which is different for every heatsink due to the different ways that each heatsink manipulates the airflow from the fan.

Check out the front page here for a round up of good heatsinks.

ORBS ARE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

Don't buy one please??????????!!!!!!!!

Get a Glaciator or a swifty, not an orb!!

I won't do a president Bush speech on why not to get an orb but i do know, that you won't be using it as a cooling device for your chip for long!!! Maybe a paper shreder on your desk!!!!!!

Thelemac said:

you *REALLY* can't use the in socket thermistor for comparing different heatsinks, because the temperature on that largely influenced by secondary heat path cooling...which is different for every heatsink due to the different ways that each heatsink manipulates the airflow from the fan.

Check out the front page here for a round up of good heatsinks.

Thelemac, could you explain this one a little more in detail?
What do you mean with this "secondary heat path" and how does it bias thermistor readings?
You see, I kinda er,....disagree.
I can see the fact that the socket thermistor won't give an exact reading of the temperature, but since that's the same (?) for all tested heatsinks, it should be fine to compare the results.
It's about the same problem as in every experiment: you make *known* error, but given the fact that this is a constant one it still allows you to compare the results.

But I am sure u will prove me wrong (hey, I'm only a newbie, right :D )

Flow said:

Thelemac, could you explain this one a little more in detail?
What do you mean with this "secondary heat path" and how does it bias thermistor readings?
You see, I kinda er,....disagree.
I can see the fact that the socket thermistor won't give an exact reading of the temperature, but since that's the same (?) for all tested heatsinks, it should be fine to compare the results.
It's about the same problem as in every experiment: you make *known* error, but given the fact that this is a constant one it still allows you to compare the results.

But I am sure u will prove me wrong (hey, I'm only a newbie, right :D )

See, the problem is that the secondary heat paths are cooled by the air exiting the heatsink...and it exits each heatsink differently due to the physical structure of the heatsink.

Here is one example on the inaccuracies of the insocket thermistor. Here is another. This one gives an example of how inaccurate it is. Finally, this one has the beef for the reasoning. :)

Cheers!

Back