• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM compatibillity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the adam

Well because of BF2 and its massive ram usage i am forced to upgraded to 2gb to stop the stuttering. My question is do I need to get TCCD RAM to have it compatibile with my current RAM... and if I get some other type of ram that isnt TCCD will I get a performance hit? Can anyone suggest some ram choices as well.

I will be going with 2x512mb and I can't run 1T with all four slots filled right?

most likely you will not do 1T with 4x512mb. Also unless you oc'ed then there will not be a performance hit from non tccd sticks. However non tccd will probably not go as high as tccd (unless its tcc5). Also your overclock will probably not be as high anyways with 2Gb.

Arrrggg.... means more testing and fiddling. Thx for the response. What are some sticks with tcc5 (they replaced tccd right?) Or am I better off just buying some tccd sticks off newegg?

Well I did some researching and found some ocz sticks that are tccd or tcc5 (link). I also found my original ram that is tccd (link)

So is tcc5 going to be better then tccd or is one better then the other... or am i just better going with my original ram?

I would be cautious about mixing ram chips on your system. Some motherboards don't take kindly to it. It does work fine sometimes, but you never know till you get there. I think more tccd would be a safer bet. Good luck.

I've not heard of anyone running 1T with 4x512 and an AMD CPU. Fortunately, 2T isn't a very big hit.

The problem with mixing chips is that both sets of ram have to run the same settings, not just frequency and timings, but Vcore, drive strength, and all that other arcane stuff you can tweak on the DFI boards. That will almost certainly mean less than optimal settings for one set of RAM, and maybe for both. More TCCD would be a better bet. If it's too hard to find or too expensive, you might sell your current sticks and get four exactly the same with some other good chips

Back