• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARGH CAN'T POST, need help ASAP please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Okay, first of all this is with my current rig (Epox 8RDA+, 2500+ Barton, Gig of PC3200 Corsair, Radeon 9800 pro)

Today I received a fan speed controller and temperature monitor so I wanted to test it out in my current system before I get the parts for my new one. So I opened up my case, took off the heatsink and processor (of course after unplugging and everything) and cleaned them off with isopropyl alcohol. I then re-applied arctic silver 3 to both the processor and heatsink and put one of the temperature diodes between the core and the heatsink (just touching the core). I also blew out some dust today as well. Now whenever I boot up my computer (no matter what is plugged in) it will turn on, then immediately turn off (within about 3-5 seconds), then I hear a light humming beep in the background.

Okay, I tried my old 1.4tbird and it does work and post, do you think that I might have crushed the core when putting the heatsink back on? Are there any other possibilities? :bang head

did you put it in between the core and the processor, or just touching the side of the core? if you put it in between, that may have spelled the end. remove the temp diode and see if it boots. I think the cpu temp protection is kicking in.

I put it between the core and the heatsink.

oh and more news, now my aerogate II (my new fan speed etc controller) won't display correctly, the text comes up at the very beginning but then just wipes off to the right and is unusable (the dial doesn't work etc)

The temp probe always goes next to the core, never on it. If it doesnt boot with the temp probe out, you burnt out the processor and the controler. It sounds like you either crushed the core or fried it. I've done the same thing before, but got lucky and it booted fine afer removing the probe, try clearing your bios and then using the processor in question, also ive tried putting a temp probe into my heatsink before and it shorted out, for some reason i think there is at least a minimal charge in the probes.

yeah it does, i just get one of the error/boot codes at the bottom, it always turns off at 26. Right now I am running with my craptastic 1.4 tbird. I looked on the temp probe and it is quite burnt, I just don't understand why it did that (when I have read on other tutorials to put it inbetween). Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

Back