• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pestoballs

What do u guys think , im trying to keep the price lower than 700 so some help would be appreciated :)

HD- Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JB 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

Video- ATI 100-436012 Radeon 9250 256MB DDR PCI Video Card - Retai

Sound- AOpen Cobra AW870LP 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Mem- mushkin Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model 991145 - Retail

MOBO- GIGABYTE GA-8IPE1000G Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU- intel Pentium 4 530J Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80547PG3000EJ - Retail

Case- ePOWER WARRIOR EPC-523SC-450A Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail

Switch to the SATA-150 version of the hard drive, it's faster and doesn't cost any more.
Forget about that video card, find one with an 8X AGP interface.
Your chosen motherboard comes with muti-chanel sound. Do you really need a seperate card? Use that money for a better video card.

So i should drop the sound card and get a better video?

Edit: Im going with the ATI RADEON 9800PRO 128M Radeon 9800PRO 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card. Good?

Last edited:
Yes the ati radeon 9800pro 128 is great, make sure ur getting the 256 bit version though.

If you are going to overclock, reconsider that power supply. A Fortron Blue Storm AX500 is probably the best combo of cheap/reliable, but even a 400W should be fine.

Get a Seagate hd, as they have the best warranty(this is your first rig so its good to be prepared) and they are quiet, and I've heard they run cooler and are faster than most drives.

-1cem4n

looks like a good pc to me. and at a good price.
but check if you can Overclock or change voltages with that mobo because i got unlucky with mine and i can't oc untill i get a new one.

ohh and if you are going to overclock i suggest getting ram that yo know can reach high clocks because i don't know how high that mushkin value ram can go.

Mushkin RAM is pretty much the BEST value ram out there and can overclock pretty high.

-1cem4n

Pestoballs said:
What do u guys think , im trying to keep the price lower than 700 so some help would be appreciated :)

MOBO- GIGABYTE GA-8IPE1000G Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU- intel Pentium 4 530J Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80547PG3000EJ - Retail

did anyone else not notice this, You either need to pick a different mobo, or different processor, because socket 775 cpus wont work with a socket 478 motherboard.

NOOO way dude r u serious i didnt see that and i already ordered

Is this true?

i just contacted newegg to see if i could switch my order or something (yeah right) because maybe it hasnt shipped yet cause of the 4th, Can someone else please verify this.

Even though its def. true cause im a dumbass

Edit: If not ill go with this

Foxconn 661FX7MF-RS Socket T (LGA 775) SIS 661FX Micro ATX Intel

Make up for the lost money on the return policy

Last edited:
Turns out i cant change my order ;(

Im prolly gonna lose some money on the return but i just ordered a ASROCK 775V88 PT880 MB which is less money so that may make up for the return policy.

THanks for all the help guys

Dang dude. That sucks. My friend is a complete moron, dont worry your mistake isnt that bad. My friend ordered a 939 amd compatible motherboard for a pentium 4 processor. But his situation worked out a little better, newegg changed up his order with no hassle. Sorry man :(

YES im not gonna lose any money on the return to newegg because the box will be unopened! Big relief

And Welcome to the Forums Leebzor

Back