• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suse 9.1 personal problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daewood

okay I am putting suse 9.1 personal on my Lan Rig in my sig and after it installs and restarts then boots from the harddrive it goes to a black screen and then no matter how long I wait for it nothing happens...

I at first thought that it was kicking my monitor out of spec so I tried a monitor that would handle the highest setting that the mx440 SE could output and still nothing.

but it does not give me a "out-of-spec" message, just a black screen with my light blinking... I am thinking its the drivers for the video card? :shrug:

any help would be nice.

okay I found out if I boot at anything over 1024x768 it will not show anything and I have to reinstall it to even get it to boot again...

it says "the resolution you have selected is beyond spec for this monitor"

and I'm using my Samsung 710n Syncmaster flatpanel??? :shrug: it can easily handle 1280x1024 but for some reason linux wont let me?

You have set the vertical/horizontal rates wrong in xorg.conf or XF86Config. You need to set those correctly for it to correctly decide which resolutions it can use for your monitor.

how do I do that?
how do I know my vertical/horizontal rates?

I'm a total linux noob so I have no Idea how to do anything...

You edit the xorg.conf (if it's there) or XF86Config file (if xorg.conf is not there) in the /etc/X11 directory. Your monitor manual should have the vert/horiz rates. If not, you can probably find it on the internet somewhere. It will be obvious where to put it (it will be there already, you'll just change the numbers).

k how do I find my XF86Config file?

give me more then a short answer (like how to edit what I edit it with, how I find it...) I only just installed it and know nothing at all

Umm, I don't understand the question "how do I find it". I told you where it was, /etc/X11.

You can use any text editor to modify it. See what is included with SuSE. I don't use SuSE so I have no clue which editors are included by default, but it should be something obvious in the menu.

so is the /etc/X11 a directory?

and Suse is graphical based so I don't know if its the same as with text...

Yes it's a directory.

Text editor is just a program that edits text files, like notepad or edit in windows/dos. It can run in a gui or in a console. You can even use a word processor to do it, you just need to make sure you save it as a text file (not in the word processor's special format).

okay got a problem I cant get linux to boot up with a smaller resolution so that my monitor will work

is there a "safe mode" that I can boot into with low res and it does not load certain drivers like I can in windows?

Just don't start X. Just fix it using the CLI. I don't know how to do that in Suse, but there should be a way. There is a keystroke sequence to exit X, something like ctrl-alt-shift-backspace (not quite sure on that). That might get you to a prompt.

I figured it out I just changed the frequencies via a text editor then gave up on linux cause I could not figure out how to install firefox...

maybe some other time I'll fiddle with it.

You picked the wrong distro.

If you want a beginner distro, go install Xandros. SuSE is not appropriate for someone with no understanding of linux. It's not a beginner's OS.

Xandros will install itself automatically and take care of pretty much everything for you.

The truth is that I doubt I could get firefox to install in SuSE. NEVER use rpm based distros if you want to be able to install stuff. Get a distro that uses portage or apt-get, and installing stuff is trivial. RPM based distros almost scared me off linux because of the difficulty of installing programs.

For example, I just installed firefox today. I typed "emerge mozilla-firefox" and went afk for a few. It did everything, including downloading it, unpacking it, compiling it, and installing it.

The key combination to kill the X server is Ctr+Alt+Backspace though if your running a login manager such as KDM/GDM it may restart X as soon as you kill it, in which case you could switch to a virtual console (Ctl+Alt+F1-F7) and stop it with /etc/init.d/xdm stop or something different depending on where your init scripts are.

MRD said:
You picked the wrong distro.

If you want a beginner distro, go install Xandros. SuSE is not appropriate for someone with no understanding of linux. It's not a beginner's OS.

Xandros will install itself automatically and take care of pretty much everything for you.

The truth is that I doubt I could get firefox to install in SuSE. NEVER use rpm based distros if you want to be able to install stuff. Get a distro that uses portage or apt-get, and installing stuff is trivial. RPM based distros almost scared me off linux because of the difficulty of installing programs.

For example, I just installed firefox today. I typed "emerge mozilla-firefox" and went afk for a few. It did everything, including downloading it, unpacking it, compiling it, and installing it.

That sounds good when I get my KVM I'll take a look at it ok.

BTW, can I download it free? and use it unlimited? cause I am not paying for another OS really I already bought XP and am not willing to pay for anything else.

Yeah, there's an open source version of it called Xandros OCE which is available for free download (via bittorrent), or you can have them send you a CD or download by ftp/http for a small fee. I just got the iso of the install CD for free by bittorrent.

Supposedly there is a restriction on the speed at which you can burn DVD's in the free version, but I think it's very easy to get around (just put the debian servers in your apt-get config file and download k3b).

Personally, I'm a gentoo addict, but I do not think gentoo is the ideal OS for a new user unless they have someone else to install it. I love Xandros for new linux users because it is so user friendly and allows them to transition to linux without having to know anything about linux in advance.

I don't understand how people install something, one thing doesn't work, and you just give up. Not everything in windows works out of the box...in fact i would say that a lot of linux distros work better out of the box than windows

eNightmare said:
I don't understand how people install something, one thing doesn't work, and you just give up. Not everything in windows works out of the box...in fact i would say that a lot of linux distros work better out of the box than windows
Actually I spent about 5-6 hours trying to get Firefox to install but I could never get it to work.

and I've done the exact same thing in windows before and it is frustrating as hell. I just find it easier to give up on this because I can go back to my windows box and do what ever I need it to do. :shrug:

It's rpm based, so no wonder it's hard to install stuff in. No one can get stuff to install with rpm based distros.

It's really best that people just not use rpm based distros, it makes it so painful to install things, or if they do, ignore the rpm stuff and just use tarballs, it's easier.

Back