Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

Motherboard or RAM - which one is blocking?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 03:00 AM Thread Starter   #1
gofra

Motherboard or RAM - which one is blocking?

Hi folks,

just recently I entered the world of overclocking and Im still trying to get to know how things work. I was wondering how do you guys know, when to raise the NB voltage? Also, how do you know when motherboard wont go any further?

The reason Im asking is that I never heard mobos being questioned when raising the FSB. Allways RAM. I just want to make sure I know.

Example:

I got Epox 8rda3i board with 2x512 400DDR Geil Value ram. It passes memtest on 220 FSB ok. But as soon as I go to 225 (up to 224 only return few errors in memtest but enough for me not to use those settings) it wont even boot. Monitor wont start, sometimes I even have to turn off the PSU to restart it. So which one should I blame here? Mobo or RAM?

And btw, Im running Vdimm 2.7V and NB @ 1.8V

Thank you for your answers!
gofra is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 07-03-05, 04:09 AM Thread Starter   #2
gofra

Bah, just found out - silly me...So what the heck - I'll just put it down in case someone else needse it

MAX FSB your mobo can handle:

- lower your CPU multiplier below stock (if say, 1830 is your stock speed, make sure FSB X multi combo will allways be below that, but only achieve that lowering your multiplier!)
- lower your RAM/CPU (or CPU/RAM) ratio or/and relax your RAM timings. So if your stock settings are 2,5 - 3 - 3 - 6 @ 200 FSB, try with 3 - 4 - 4 - 7 nad/or use the divider so that your RAM speed will allways work below its stock speed.
- raise the mobo (NB) voltage (Vdd) up to what you safely can/want and make sure you took good care of cooling of the NB chipset. I wouldnt go further than 1.8 V on air here.
- raise the FSB in small increments and boot after every step. If you can enter Windows normaly, reboot and raise FSB just a bit more. Keep doing so until you cannot enter WIndows anymore or the system freezes, locks up...
- reboot, enter BIOS and go back to the settings that let you enter Windows normaly.
- reboot. In Windows run Prime or simmilar testing program and let it run for few hours. If it passes, you can increase the FSB a bit and try testing again. If it fails, go back to your last stable setting. That will also be your mobos highest FSB.

I hope my poor knowledge got it right. If anyone feels I forgot about something please correct me!

Thank you
Old 07-03-05, 08:16 AM   #3
Goateh

Interesting, thanks for sharing

Asus PZ68-M Pro :: Intel Core i5 2500k :: Stock Cooling :: MSI GTX560:: 2 x 4GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz

"Some day you too will know my pain and smile it's black tooth grin.."
-Dave Mustaine, Megadeth

Goateh is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-03-05, 08:29 AM Thread Starter   #4
gofra

np realy....
Im wondering if Primes blend test would do allright for the purposes of testing the mobo FSB?
Old 07-03-05, 08:36 AM   #5
Goateh

Torture test I beleive

Although I've had my pc not working on prime but being stable everywhere else...

Asus PZ68-M Pro :: Intel Core i5 2500k :: Stock Cooling :: MSI GTX560:: 2 x 4GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz

-Dave Mustaine, Megadeth

Old 07-04-05, 07:15 AM Thread Starter   #6
gofra

Yeah, torture test - I know that. But there are three types of it + a custom one that you can set yourself. First one stresses the CPU mainly, while the other two stress other stuff as well. Blend torture test stresses everything...

As an update: I passed the 222FSB 22 hours on Blend - so I can say that mobo handles that pretty well right?
Old 07-04-05, 07:27 AM   #7
Goateh

Ah right, my bad. Forgot about that. Yeah I would say your board could handle that sweet if it survived 22hrs

-Dave Mustaine, Megadeth

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards