• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smallest video format

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

can someone please tell me the video format to save a video as to make it as small as possible.

thnx in advance

RIPSTER

i just got a motorola v710 and it can play movie files. they have to be in .3gp or .3g2 format, so i use Nokia Multimedia Converter 2.0 (you have to sign up to nokia's forums to get a license) to convert any file into the correct format. it really shrinks the vids a ton. example, i took a 330mb skateboard video (play time approx 1hr 20mins) and it shrunk it down to about 20mb. the quality is still pretty good, and the audio plays fine thru my v710's speakerphone. i've got a 128mb transflash card for my phone, so i can store quite a bit of content. probably about 6hours of tv shows or full length movies if i wanted.

windows media player will also play .3gp and .3g2 files.

WMV is fairly good at making small files ( although the quality isn't that great), quicktime is actually alright for quality/compression too :)

I use Pocket divx encoder. I know it probably doesn't give me the best size/quality ratio, but its very easy to use and I can get a dvd quality movie down below 100mb (dvd quality on my pocket pc anyway).

xvid can also makes videos very small, and retain good quality, and isnt too hard to use.

I guess it would come down to the compatibility you would want for the file really, both RM and MOV require different players, at least with xvid you can just install a codec and play it under WMP

get the gordon Knot's codec rip pack and encode it in DivX or AVI they give you small to best quality ratio around!

DivX 6 is supposed to be insane.

Back