• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU issues . . I think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DependentHands

Before I begin, let me just get my specs out in the open.

Athlon64 3500+
A8V Deluxe
1GB Mushkin 'Blue Line'
Nvidia Geforce FX 5900
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Samsung 16x DVD/CDR combo drive
40 GB Maxtor HD
PSU - See Below

Currently, this is all I have plugged in. Recently, I have started running into a problem. My computer has just started power down for no apparent reason. This only happens during games. The load doesn't even have to be heavy for this to happen. These power downs are not shut-downs. They are not restarts. I have to flip the switch on the PSU to off for 5 seconds and then back to on (at which point the computer automatically turns on). Otherwise, the thing will not start.

Now, to get a few things out of the way. I am running Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2). I have disabled the auto-shutdown on critical error feature; I am not overclocking (video or CPU). I have used an air compressor to clean every nook and cranny. I have updated, rolled back, and removed/installed my drivers-currently I am running the latest drivers for my sound and video cards. I have flashed the most recent final BIOS for my board as well as the most recent beta BIOS for my board. I have the most recent 4in1 drivers. Etc..

For my tests, I'm using the PC game World of Warcraft.

Ahem. Now, when my computer started doing this, I decided it was time to do some testing. I first thought that my CPU or my video card was probably overheating. So, I went ahead and ran both ASUS probe and the NVIDIA temperature reader built into the display options. After these programs were run, I started World of Warcraft in windowed mode so that I could just monitor my temps as I sat idle in the game. My computer turned off within 5 minutes (from now we'll call this the 5-minute test). However, my processor never crested 47*C and my video card never went over 50*C. High 40s for both. I decided to move on, as both of those ranges are well within operating temps.

My next thought was to make sure the memory was ok. Also, I'd get an extended test of the CPU. I decided on a run of Prime95's stress test. It ran for an entire viewing of the lord of the rings trilogy. There wasn't one error in the entire running, so I quickly began to wonder about something else.

The PSU. Ahh, of course, I thought. At the time I was using an Element 500W (or something). I decided to go buy a 550w off the internet. While I was waiting for it to come, I hooked up a 350w PSU. I performed the 5-minute test and it passed with flying colors. I left it on for well over 5 hours.

Fast forward to the 550w arriving on my door. I hook it up, go into WoW (world of warcraft) and begin playing. About 2 hours later, the computer shuts off. I let loose a string of $70.00 worth of swear words before playing with random options for days with no improvement. I can get anywhere from 30 minutes of 2 hours of gametime, but the thing will always shut off. The 5-minute test on the 550w turns the machine off.

So, left with that, I hooked the 350w back in. This tinny piece of generic garbage runs my system without power downs on any and all games. Now, this power supply is not enough for my current needs. I can barely fit what I've got on it. Why does this thing work when my 500 and 550 do not? I've searched everywhere for information on these power down issues, and haven't found a single clue as to what's going on. I've been using this rig since November (I believe) and haven't had any trouble with it until this started in about mid-may I believe. I had changed no drivers or anything important at all.

I am now stuck. I decided that maybe if I entrusted this into the capable hands here, that I may get some sort of solution. Otherwise, I'm at my wit's end, and nearly ready to throw this entire thing in the pond for the fishies to troubleshoot!

There are people much more qualified to answer your questions than me, However the first thing you need to do is list what type of PSU's all three are. Your 350 watt may be a much better unit in regard to quality than the other 2. The power rating on your 500 and 550 may mean virtually nothing if they are low quality.
I can tell you from experience you don't want to skimp on the PSU, I did the first time around and I ended up buying 2 PSU's in 3 months.

ScottinIndy said:
There are people much more qualified to answer your questions than me, However the first thing you need to do is list what type of PSU's all three are.
You are certainly qualified (and quite correct) to point out that if you don't tell what power supplies you are talking about, it's impossible to give any constructive input.

The 350 is a 'turbolink' (came bundled with a case)
The 500 is an 'element'
The 550 is an 'antec'

Believe it or not Antec makes more than one '550' power supply. It would ever so much more easy to help if you would give us as much information about the identity of the supplies as possible rather than as little.

Back