• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My R9600Pro Keeps locking up... :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th0r

2 months ago this started happening, tried it in different computers, used different drivers 4.5-5.6, check different things like Fast Writes on and off and still the same result.

So i ended up taking it out and putting a R9200 in it (So slowww!) but today i was trying to get my other machine to work and my spare Geforce 4 was completely dead so i put the R9600 in it to try and get the computer to boot up... Found out the motherboard is pretty much dead but i noticed that the R9600's GPU fan wasn't working, so i did some modding by removing the Fan and heatsink and putting the Geforce 4 Heat sink on and using a spare CPU 120 MM fan to cool the heatsink..

But its still locking up, any idea's on what to do? I really, really don't want to use that R9200 again! its enough to make you cry!

Any idea's? Btw, the Warranty ran out a couple of days before this started happening...

I don't get any artifacts, i would be just be playing normally then the screen would go black and the monitor will go into stand by or the computer will just restart.

Thankyou.

Do you have the latest VIA 4-in-1 package and stuff? I notice you're using Win2k3 server going by your sig, is there any chance you could test it on a XP or 2K machine ? Try upping the AGP voltage? Change the Xfer speed to 4x?

I ain't running Windows 2003 anymore, i'm back on Windows XP SP2, it was the same with 2003, I've tried the Via drivers, still the same. I tried it in a Athlon machine i have in the house.. Still the same result, i have never tried backing off the AGP voltage or the 4x speed, i'll give them ago.

Its strange, if i damaged the card, wouldn't the card cease to work? I don't get any artifacts or anything :S it just locks up... But thanks, keep the idea's coming if possible :)

Depends, I usually get it locking up when I have my memory clocked too high. Does this happen when you're not gaming, such as say... watching a movie or using prime95?

I've just installed the latest VIA drivers and uped the AGP voltage to 1.70v, seems stable at the moment, just completed a 3dmark03 benchmark, Steam Stress test with CS: S and played 10 minutes of HL2 : DM.. Seems to be ok at the moment...

And yes, it was doing this in windows, even if the computer was idle.

Ah ok.

Well, keep us updated :)

Hopefully its stable now :D

edit: Love your avatar ;)

Last edited:
I will keep you updated, i just hope i havn't killed the card some how... That R9200SE is so slow! And i don't even have money to buy a new card :( Don't know what to do really if this messes up again...

Thanx for the help. :)

I love the Avatar too, but it needs updating :p

Hiper 420Watt PSU... What do you think?

May i add that my sig needs updating since i'm running a AMD computer now

AMD 2500+
Same RAM but only 512.
160GB Maxtor Hard drive
80GB Western Digital

Thats it.

Ah right, that should be fine. I'm only running a 400w in mine.

WHat mainboard are you running ?

edit: Did you try reducing agp to 4x instead of 8x?

Its and MSI Motherboard, cannot remember the name of it, but like i've said, it did exactly the same in the other computer (the P4 in my sig)

It didn't give me an option to reduce the speed to 4x.. it just said "Auto" and it was grayed out so you cannot change it.

hmm if your screen just locks up maybye its overheating? i know thats what happens with my 9600. and if your computer is restarting im pretty sure that means your cpu is overheating to. maybye you could try taking a side panel off and putting a huge fan right next to the computer and try?

cooper15 said:
hmm if your screen just locks up maybye its overheating? i know thats what happens with my 9600. and if your computer is restarting im pretty sure that means your cpu is overheating to. maybye you could try taking a side panel off and putting a huge fan right next to the computer and try?

Already done that, my temps are 50C on the CPU with a System Temperate of 32C I have a 120 Directly on the Graphics card with a 180mm Fan blowing Air into the case, the Side Panel is off.

Check the rails on that PSU with a multimeter, or at least monitor them closely with software. Had a friends pc doing that with a 400w, but his 12v rail was spiking to 13.2, causing the freezes and reboots.

The fact that its a generic makes me think this may be the issue... my buddies was a powmax.... crap.

how long have you been using this card and have you been ocing it before cuz it might be reaching the end of its life?

Here is a screenshot of MBM5 showing my Rails and temperatures.

I've been running this card just over a year now, i have overclocked it once at one stage about 8 months ago.. I didn't push it too much, i was just seeing how far the card would go then i put it back to stock, never really needed the extra performance really to justify the overclock.

The PSU isn't Generic, it cost me about £40 when i first bought it about a year and half ago.

See what you all think.

Attachments

• mbm.jpg
    mbm.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 91
Run the monitoring software for a while, using the PC, gaming, etc.... have it record the results and then check it. It may not be fluctuating without stress. Even though it cost you 40pounds, it's not a brand that is well known for its stable rails, like fortron or PCP&C. I'm not knocking it, just learned my lesson with psu's after having them die or lose stability on the rails.

Also, it may not be the problem, but the symptoms are exactly what my buddy was experiencing with his as a result of his psu instability.

Back