• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM dividers on Athlon 64.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willkill1337

So I've got it pretty much all worked out now but the RAM dividers. I was previously planning on getting a system in which I could run 1:1 (I am aware that the divider is off the CPU so it wouldn't technically be 1:1) but now it transpires that if I can move to the Athlon 64 platform, I may have to use my PC3200 RAM which isn't so good to overclock.

What are the possible dividers for the RAM and could someone please explain to me how it all works. I'm unsure of what board I'd be using but it would have to be a fairly cheap NF3 Ultra board with AGP. I would be using a 3000 Venice or possibly a 3200, so that's the 9x or 10x multiplier.

Thanks.

So if I ran an Athlon 64 3200 at 2.4GHz with a 240*10 multiplier and 240*4 = 960MHz HTT and the ram at a 5:6 divider then it will be running at it's 200MHz default. Would this work and would the performance be affected through using the divider or would I get the same memory bandwidth as I would if I were running at stock speed with a 1000MHz HTT? (200*5)

It would get the same memory bandwidth as running at stock. Well, nearly the same, since memory bandwidth tools are unfortunately affected by CPU speed a bit, but for all intents and purposes it will be the same.

Oh, I came under the impression that using a memory divider reduced your memory bandwidth. So I can get a 3000 then as I won't need the 10x multi. What clocks do people get on a 3000 Venice normally compared to a 3200?

Memory dividers where pretty painful on the old xp platform but not so with A64 architecture.

The 3200 and the 3000 clock pretty close to each other. The advantage of the 3200 is the 10x multi. If gives you more options. If your board can't climb higher than let's say, 280htt then 9x280 means that 2520 is as high as you can go. With a 10x multi you could theoretically do 10x280 or 2800. If you are getting a cheap nf3 board look at the Epox. It's a very good overclocker. It doesn't offer a lot of vdimm, but it doesn't sound like you will need it.

willkill1337 said:
HousERaT, I knew they were meant to be bad on Socket A but didn't know that this hadn't improved with the A64, thanks.

Reread that, he said it has improved.

Yeah, moz_21 that's what I meant. I knew that they were bad on AXP but was unsure whether or not they had improved for A64.

I was thinking of getting a 3000 and the DFI NF3 Ultra as I have to stick to AGP. The 3000 costs £96 ($167) whereas the 3200 is about £130 ($226) which is quite a price difference. If they are going to clock very similarly and I'll have to use a RAM divider anyway, I might as well get the 3000.

Back