• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dothan water blocks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryanmartini

Hello,

I am building some watercooling for my dothan setup, and I am in need of some water cooling. I am having some trouble finding a block for it. I thought maybe you all could help *PLEASE*

you actually might not need watercooling with a dothan, they seem to runn really cool to begin with, but you might wanna see how you do with the stock asus cooler before you go water, as it might not be worth it for you.

well, the asus adapter blocks the socket mounting holes, so you'd have to find a waterblock that uses the mounting bracket clips like the swiftech MCW-6002, but thoes spring tab things would prolly kill the core because of the added height of the adapter, so you might be able to contact swiftech and see if they can make some lighter spring tabs or w/e you wanna call them

@datura, thank you for the links. What materials and what measurements did you find to make that adapter ?

@CCUABIDExORxDIE: I guess I dont "need" water cooling, yet I want to build my own kit to learn. And since its my first time with water cooling and a dothan, I thought it would be fun :)

Last edited:
ryanmartini said:
@CCUABIDExORxDIE: I guess I dont "need" water cooling, yet I want to build my own kit to learn. And since its my first time with water cooling and a dothan, I thought it would be fun :)

i hear ya, water is definately fun. I cant wait to see what you get outta that chip. just be careful, the cores on those are like eggs, they break real easy

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62366

I cant think of any waterblocks that use the stock p4 retention mechanism. But there are some links in that thread that show you how to use the normal retention mechanism and raise it a little so you can still use it to mount any normal socket 478 heatsink with the ct479 without crushing the core.

Pretty sure there is a pic of someone using J bolts to mount a TDX on it too.

One waterblock comes to mind, not the most efficient one out there admitedly.
koolance Cpu-200G.

It uses the stock p4 retention mechanism, and shouldnt be TOO bad on a chip putting out these low heatloads. I was actually gonna use one on my dothan, but turns out my aopen mobo has a different layout of the mounting holes, so ill just have to make a block of my own..

About that Aopen board...I have heard that the including HSF is pure garbage. Has this been your experience as well?

What the hell were they thinking when they used non standardized mounting holer pattern.

What the hell were they thinking when they used non standardized mounting holer pattern.

Yeah i hear ya. its really a wierd thing to do, especially since the s478 mounting mechanism has worked for several years,be it using the plastic frame, or the holes.

The worst thing about it tho, is that any homemade wb, has to be quite tiny, wich means greater detail :/

Not all of us have Hoot´s patience for soldering brass tubes etc... ;)

About the HSF, the heatsink is about 2 x 2 x 2/5", made of alu. So its not the best cooling device ever concived.... but its been enough for initial testing, but as soon as the wb is completed, its going out the door.

Back