• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD x2....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

What are these processors like?

I've been away from computing for quite some time now.
I've just found out AMD are producing dual cores.

How do they compare to single cores @ same ghz.
Any benefit for gamers?

Worth the money?

'ta..

Damn it's fast. But can games/apps use the dual core?

Quattro said:
Damn it's fast. But can games/apps use the dual core?

Some stuff can take advantage, many more things can not. Multitasking is its main selling point right now.

waddupmm said:
Be prepared to buy a 120000 watt psu thats the minimum required to run a dual core cpu at 300 ghz
So...confused...
Anyway, AFAIK games don't get any boost yet, as they remain single threaded. I'm sure that will change in a few years though.
For now, I'de stick with Venice/San Diego for games. :)

IWasHungry said:
For now, I'de stick with Venice/San Diego for games. :)

Clock for clock X2 will beat Venice, and probably barely behind San Diego. I would go with X2 if you have the budget.

Sucka said:
Clock for clock X2 will beat Venice, and probably barely behind San Diego.
Just for the sake of clarity, you're talking about the Toledo being comparable to the San Diego for things like single-threaded games, right Sucka? A Manchester would do only about as much clock for clock as a Venice, as it's essentially two Venice cores on the same memory controller.

can you leave a CPU intensive task such as video encoding running on one core while you game on the other? (assuming there's enough RAM)

most people probably won't try to do both at the same time but I'm just wondering :shrug:

shiyan said:
can you leave a CPU intensive task such as video encoding running on one core while you game on the other? (assuming there's enough RAM)

most people probably won't try to do both at the same time but I'm just wondering :shrug:

Yes, without any problems.

During gaming, the 4400+ will run like P4 3.8Ghz+, not even overclock. If the computer is also processing the video encoding or folding while you are playing game, it will run up to 2x faster. That is sweet. :)

I'm more than happy with my X2 4400+. If anything, I think I need another gig of ram to take full-advantage of this cpu.

Otter said:
Just for the sake of clarity, you're talking about the Toledo being comparable to the San Diego for things like single-threaded games, right Sucka? A Manchester would do only about as much clock for clock as a Venice, as it's essentially two Venice cores on the same memory controller.

Yeah, pretty much. Perhaps SD would hold a slight clock for clock advantage, but not much if any.

I currently have my athlon x2 5800 running at 46.77ghz with a 500gig raptor 15k rpm, 2 gigs of ddr 2ghz 1-1-1-2 timings, with 2 10,800 ultas in sli at 3ghz/12ghz

waddupmm said:
I currently have my athlon x2 5800 running at 46.77ghz with a 500gig raptor 15k rpm, 2 gigs of ddr 2ghz 1-1-1-2 timings, with 2 10,800 ultas in sli at 3ghz/12ghz

A little delusional are we tonight?

No my uncle works for amd, and gets me their beta parts years befor they even begin developing them, he has this time machine, but I cant talking about it im under nda

Back