• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas for building SFF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jcollins82

I was thinking about building an SFF computer and I was thinking about going with socket 754 because as I understand these Newark chips are running quite cool, and also there are more choices as far as s754 micro ATX boards go as opposed to s939. Although, now that I look closer I notice none of the ones I've found use PCI-E.

I've looked around for a place to buy a Newark but I've been unable to find any. I thought I heard of a few people having them but I'm not entirely certain.

Also, if anyone has any knowledge as to whether or not there are any upcoming socket 939 or 754 m-ATX boards that are going to be using PCI-E, and preferably an NF4 chipset, I'd like to hear about them. The only boards I've found use the ATi Xpress 200 chipset and of them the I'd probably only be comfortable with buying the MSI RS480M2-IL. I've got to admit I'm a little apprehensive about buying an MSI motherboard after hearing so many people complain about their Neo 2s and I haven't really heard a whole lot about the overclocking potential of the chipset, MSI BIOS etc. either. I don't intend on getting too crazy with overclocking because I don't feel I'll be able to dissapate the heat well enough, but time will tell.

I've already got this case on order. The ASPIRE X-QPACK-AL it seems to be pretty nice looking, not too "blingy" for my tastes. Comes with a 420W PSU which will probably end up on EBay unless it proves suitable. I kind of doubt it will though, so I was wondering if anyone has this case and can tell me whether or not it will accept a standard sized ATX PSU. The review at Anandtech says the PSU has the same width and height as standard ATX but the depth of it is shorter. It doesn't mention whether or not there is enough spare room to accomodate a larger unit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

OT: It kind of occured to me that this post probably falls in the gray area of whether or not it should be in AMD CPU discussion. Originally, I had intended to just ask about Newarks, but then I figured I had a couple other questions to ask and I contemplated moving it over to the SFF forum. But I decided not to because that one does not see as much traffic as this one does.

Back