• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

satelite internet problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

i have two internet connections, one satelite (starband) and one dsl. whenever i'm downloading from the satelite connection, the internet goes down. i have to reboot the modem before it will work again. this never happens on my dsl connection, but the dsl is slower. this computer is just a client on the network, it isn't directly connected to the modem. this happens with other computers trying to download too. what can i do to stabilize the connection?

I also use satellite so I feel your pain. Mine is Direcway though and I have no experience with Starban.

sure its not the mobo? When I was heavily using the gigabit NIC on my old Lanparty B it would cut out and I would have to restart to get it to work again

dicecca: for it to be the mobo it would have to be more than one computer with a bad onboard on the same lan, and i find that kind of unlikely. it's not the client that stops working when this happens, it's the modem. the troubleshooter on the server says the modem has stopped responding and i have to reboot the modem to get it to work. when i'm on dsl i don't have this problem, so i think it's either the server or the modem. before updating the software it didn't do this, but starband won't allow us to use older modem software.

i found the exact problem. the modem cuts out everytime i'm downloading though dcc. it varies how long the modem stays up, but it always happens. is it my firewall doing this or is it something else?

is it possible that the modem is overheating? My in laws have direcway and their modem has been know to overheat if a lot of data is moving through it. Try cooling the modem if you can.

rebelwarlock said:
i have two internet connections, one satelite (starband) and one dsl. whenever i'm downloading from the satelite connection, the internet goes down.
What internet? The sattelite or the DSL?

rebelwarlock said:
i have to reboot the modem before it will work again.

Which modem? DSL or Sattelite. I assume Sattelite but I am not positive since you said it does not happen with DSL.

Also have you called the sattelite company or checked their troubleshooting page?

Back