• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cd with unique serial??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinkpig

Registered
Hello all...

I was wondering of a cd had a unique serial number to it. If yes, can this number be copied if the cd was cloned with like nero or some other cd copying software.

Thanks
Laura

not trying to copy anything, just had something in mind about protecting my software. So i just wanted to see if a cd had a unique serial. So i can make the program only work with that cd in the cdrom. Trying to think of other ideas besides using hard drive serial number.

THanks
Laura

Well, I know some games do CD checks when you use the program, so you could do something similar to that, which would require the user to have the CD to use the program.

A few minutes + hex editor = "copy" protection dead, especially if all you're doing is checking the serial number of the device/disc.

Even people who don't know what a hex editor is can easily circumvent a "disc-is-required-to-use system". Worrying about it is really just a waste of time.

Back