• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-Express Add-On Cards... Where are they?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvblake22

Yeah, so I thought maybe I would price out some PCI-Express sound cards or Ethernet cards or USB/FireWire cards and they seem to be non-existant! We are going on our third generation of PCI-Express video cards and there are already numerious PCI-Express chipsets available, where is the support for PCI-Express from the rest of the manufacturers?!?!?! :bang head :mad:

well I know of a PCI-E TV Tuner card based on the ATI Theatre 550pro chipset. It should be out in the next couple months.

I'd like to see these hitting the market too, but I'd say that probably more than 98% of buyers don't have pci-express yet. We will likely see a lot more of this next year, I think.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
Yeah, the only thing I can think of would be 10000/1000/100/10 ethernet and TV Tuners. And 10000 doesn't even exist.

10,000 is pointless, it's 1.25GB/s most RAID setups aren't that fast...

PCI-X and PCI-E aren't the same things... correct me if I'm wrong, but PCI-X are 64bit (instead of 32bit) PCI slots, recognizable by their longer nature... but I do think you can fit regular PCI cards in a PCI-X slot.

Cullam3n said:
PCI-X and PCI-E aren't the same things... correct me if I'm wrong, but PCI-X are 64bit (instead of 32bit) PCI slots, recognizable by their longer nature... but I do think you can fit regular PCI cards in a PCI-X slot.
I'm pretty sure PCI-X, PCI-Express, and PCI are all completely different animals, none of which are compatable with eachother.

Last edited:
Cullam3n said:
AFAIK regular PCI cards will fit in PCI-X slots.

Correct.

PCI-E doesn't have much support yet, and anyway, what's it matter? Most PCI-E boards have PCI-Slots anywho.

Cullam3n said:

Yes, I realized that after i wrote my post, but wasn't able to fix at the time....

PCI-x, pcie, and pci are all different... pci-x will fit in pci slots but as mentioned at the lower speeds.

Back