• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

placement of temp sensor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

comeback-kid

Registered
I've got a lian li thermal monitor with 3 channels for temperature monitoring. I'm using one for the CPU and the other two for my hard drives. Where is the best spot on the hard drives to put the heat sensor on to get the most accurate readout of the temp?

I have heard that putting it ontop of the harddrive will be okay, but don't quote me on it. also, where are you putting the probe for the cpu?

According to my vantec hard drive cooler, the temperature sensor goes on the top.

I put the CPU sensor right beside the CPU under the heatsink, but not touching. I heard putting it between the chip and heat sink will mess it up.

Why not use, say Speedfan, to view the SMART of the hard drives (built in to all modern HDs AFAIK), and use the temp probes to view abient case temps?

Not all modern drives have SMART ability...well atleast my do not.

I have three drives and the temp sensor placed beteween the top two.

Back