• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BASIC Programming Language#1(NEW RULES)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anon1

There will be one monthly contest for those whom have spare time to program. For this first contest, you may use any BASIC dialect, and you could use C++. I've decided that there isn't going to be a specific task. You pick what you want to create, and do it! I will judge the first contest, although in the later future, I might have a mod co-judge with. Things to Remember:

* Any Dialect of BASIC or C++
* You pick what you want to create
* Once per month. You must have it finished by the end of this month, or it won't even be considered, no matter how good it is.
* NO PRIZE:JUST FOR A FUN LITTLE MONTHLY CONTEST

I might try this, not sure if I will be able to come up with anything or not though. Does the program have to be compiled when it is submitted? Win/Linux/anything?

Pref. Windows for the first contest. You can compile it, or just include the source code. There will be a vote by the people for whom did the best job on their program. Remember, you could have a defragmenter to a word processor. It doesn't matter. Just as long as there isn't any inappropriate content.

Does this include things that you've already written? I've got several "cool" things... one of which is an encrypted P2P chat tool for use over the net or LAN. The really neat thing is that I went back months later and reprogrammed it to self generate an encryption key between the client and host.

tspier2 said:
There will be one monthly contest for those whom have spare time to program. For this first contest, you may use any BASIC dialect, and you could use C++. I've decided that there isn't going to be a specific task. You pick what you want to create, and do it! I will judge the first contest, although in the later future, I might have a mod co-judge with. Things to Remember:

* Any Dialect of BASIC or C++
* You pick what you want to create
* Once per month. You must have it finished by the end of this month, or it won't even be considered, no matter how good it is.
* NO PRIZE:JUST FOR A FUN LITTLE MONTHLY CONTEST

Hi tspier2... I can see the value in leaving it completely open-ended -- but one idea for future contests: perhaps give a motif ... it doesn't have to be specific to one application, such as a "word processor," but maybe something like "Communications" or "Network Utilities." It would leave it open enough to allow a great freedom of choice, but help focus the effort a tad...

I was considering that, although when I did, I realized that without the completely open-ended first contest, I wouldn't have a narrowed down idea of what most people program. If I were to use the communications/network idea, that would leave out the word processor and compiler people. I need to get a generalization, based on the applications that are submitted.

In this first challenge, there is no PHP. I have the rules included, throughout the thread. Just view the rules, and if they don't apply to you, wait until the next contest.

If nobody is going to participate, I'm going to have a mod close this thread down. Make your last wishes, or tell me if you are going to participate.

I'm interested. Deadline?
I need some time to get settled with my newest toy. Blitzmax. :D

What are the critieria for winning?

Do you want just the app, or the source as well?

If you want the Source, what exactly are you looking for in it? Effective commenting, Unique code base? reusablity?

I would like to participate(at least those contests using languages I'm familiar with), but I think perhaps we should work on a scoring system, and or select judges...

Since nobody has started, the deadline will be Augest 24th. The program itself is required, and the source only betters your chances of becoming a winner. The other programmers that enter, will be the judges. On Augest 24, I will take a vote, and we will see who the winner is. Good Luck! Happy Programming!

Bump!
Anyone started working yet?
I'm soon finished with a small almost usefull utility.

Back