• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darren007

Wondering if any u guys could offer some advice cause anyone here don't have a clue , ive been to all the comp shop around n stuff , anyway

i recently bought an Athlon Thunderbird 1.4gig
Asus Motherboard 266FSB
which is here http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/ddr266/a7v266/index.html
the fan i am usin is here
http://www.thermoengine.com/ecart/product.asp?productid=45
and 256meg pc2100 DDR ram

i also have 2 case fans 1 pushin air in from the front and 1 pullin air out from the back yet i cannot get my CPU temp below 60c, my board is runnin at 30c and i have installed the newest version of my bios so all setting are ok, anyhow i am used to runnin a P3 600E sos i never had probs wiv heat , i know all this speed comes with a price and it seems to be runnin ok its just small crashes now and again that give me cause for concern also everyone is tellni me it should be below 50c ,the only other thing i can do is move to a full tower as i only have a middle but dont think this will make any difference, once i get this sorted i can get into overclocking , lol , any help would really be great , thanks.

Make sure that you have good contact between the Heatsink&Fan (HSF) and CPU !

And don't forget to use a thermal compound, such as Arctic Silver II, between your CPU and HSF !

This is very important !

Try buying a new heatsink for your cpu. You didn't mention what kind you had, so I suspect it is a stock heatsink. Me and my roommate both have 1.4gig 266fsb athlons and we both had temps upwards of 60C. We both got millenium glaciators and his temp dropped dramatically and mine now runs at 46C idle overclocked to 1.52ghz

about that thermoengine, make sure that you get the 7k fan on it, the HSF is not any good unless you have that 7k fan blowin the air

Thanks

Thanks guys , gonna have a look into this HSF situation the paste i am usin and will make sure im usin the right 7k fan only thing is im usin the PCProbe software i got with the motherboard and it says my fan is runnin at 9926?? the coolermaser one reported at 4500 odds which sounded more right , at least i know im on the right track now reading your advice!! , thanks

P.s Anyone thought about designing a liquid cooled Case that would create a temp inside it below the room temp , this would give the fan Cool/Cold air to blow onto the chip and may be safer than some of the other ideas, just i can't find anything to do with cooled cases only liquid coolers on top of the chips dont even know if it would make a difference , jus an idea.

Pay attention to the air flow inside your case as well....If you have air coming in the front bottom and exiting at the top rear that's good. Check that your cables are tied back out of the air flow. Asus MB also read hit temps. My lan box uses an Asus A7V with a Tbird 1000. I get temps of 42 idle and 49 under load with a copy cat HSF I bought for $12.

:D You heatsink my not be seated proper,to bottom may not be flat,you may not have applied your thermal grease right.All of the above could give you a high temp.Lapp the bottom of your heatsink first,use a 600 sandpaper that should do it.Apply Artic Silver Compound.A light thin coat on your chip then with plastic wrapped onto your finger smear a very light amount onto your heatsink. Install h/s to chip,DO NOT TWIST H/S ON YOUR CHIP,just place it on top and snap the fastener to the chip,done. Check you air flow within your case try more fans for more cooling, try a top mount exhast fan,look into slot coolers,andside cooling.All these things will lower your temps,the cooler your mobo and case is the better your preformance.There is not suck thing in my oppion as too much cooling.GOOD LUCK.

cool_hand_joe13 said:
:D You heatsink my not be seated proper,to bottom may not be flat,you may not have applied your thermal grease right.All of the above could give you a high temp.Lapp the bottom of your heatsink first,use a 600 sandpaper that should do it.Apply Artic Silver Compound.A light thin coat on your chip then with plastic wrapped onto your finger smear a very light amount onto your heatsink. Install h/s to chip,DO NOT TWIST H/S ON YOUR CHIP,just place it on top and snap the fastener to the chip,done. Check you air flow within your case try more fans for more cooling, try a top mount exhast fan,look into slot coolers,andside cooling.All these things will lower your temps,the cooler your mobo and case is the better your preformance.There is not suck thing in my oppion as too much cooling.GOOD LUCK.

why did you get banned Would71?:p

Back