• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering Killing 64-bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SatanSkin

Well, I've been using 64-bit Gentoo for quite a while now and have loved it for the most part. But, I'm thinking of going back to just plain 32-bit Gentoo for now. The 64-bit versions of linux don't support flash, certain media codecs, firefox media player integration, etc. Things like that I need especially for trying to get my g/f switched over to my linux box so I can turn hers into a server! wo0t! Oh well. Just wanted to ramble.

A 64 bit system should be fine running 32 bit binaries I think. I think you can just change a few settings in make.conf and emerge 32 bit stuff when 64 bit is unavailable.

Oh yeah? My main issues are getting the firefox/flash working, firefox/any embeded media working (tried mplayerplug-in both 32-bit binary and 64-bit but neither worked), getting 32-bit codecs working (mplayer32-bit binary doesn't work that well), and a few others that I can't remember.

If you could provide some more info on getting any of the above or what you mentioned working well, please feel free to post it. I'd love to stay with 64-bit if i can get this crap working. Thanks man.

This sounds like the kind of thing Kaltag would know more about. =p

You can get flash to work with x86-64 if you edit the installer file. Open the installer in vi and put a # to comment out line 253.
e.g "exit_cpu $TEMPARCH" to " # exit_cpu $TEMPARCH"

Java and Flash, actually all plugins work fine when using "Opera" as a web browser... I gave up after a couple of months trying to get them to work with firefox.

Back