• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TCCD still available?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strages

Hey guys,

I was checking the prices on OCZ's TCC5-based PC4800 just a second ago, and I came across this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231015

Newegg says that these sticks are TCCD-based, but I thought that there was no more TCCD and it was all TCC5?? Anyone know anything about this? And if these are, in fact, TCCD, do you guys think I should jump on it? or get the OCZ stuff? I've never used G.Skill and am usually weary of ram manufacturers that I'm unfamiliar with. Any thoughts/incite?

I assume that even though they arn't making tccd anymore they are going to sell the tccd stuff they have left... TCCD chips will probally just become TCC5 chips.

RedDragonXXX said:
Yep, G-Skill is still using originall TCCD's.

I don't think so. While newegg still lists them as that, I believe they have made the switch to TCC5. As Supernade said, I the only ones left are XBL Patriot ram. It really doesn't make a HUGE difference though.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
I don't think so. While newegg still lists them as that, I believe they have made the switch to TCC5. As Supernade said, I the only ones left are XBL Patriot ram. It really doesn't make a HUGE difference though.

-Collin-

They made switch to TCC5 on some of the models but I think that LA's and LC's are the only ones left that still have originall TCCD, but they will be making switch soon.

ive already seen G.Skills ram that uses it. it has heatspreaders on it, it did like ddr620 with 3.0v. it was really impressive. they said theyll be using both TCCd and TCC5, but in the review it was TCC5 under the spreader.

The thing with TCC5 they seem to like RAS to CAS Delay on 4 and RAS Precharge also with higher vdimm in order to do DDR600, unlike TCCD which could do 300MHz with 2.5-3-3-7 in some cases, but I have yet to see TCC5 do this.

Well, I'm torn. Because I would like to get some TCCD, that way I know what I'm getting. It seems people are getting really mixed results with TCC5. So what do you guys think? Would it be worth it to hunt down whatever TCCD is left? Or should I settle for TCC5? Btw, I'm going to be building a Venice-based system and I'm going for 3ghz. I think I should be able to do it with my trusty Storm G4 and 120.3 :D. So I'm looking for RAM that can do 300mhz (or more) at decent timings.

RedDragonXXX said:
The thing with TCC5 they seem to like RAS to CAS Delay on 4 and RAS Precharge also with higher vdimm in order to do DDR600, unlike TCCD which could do 300MHz with 2.5-3-3-7 in some cases, but I have yet to see TCC5 do this.

I've noticed the exact same thing. Thought I had just lost my marbles for a second :)

-Collin-

RedDragonXXX said:
They made switch to TCC5 on some of the models but I think that LA's and LC's are the only ones left that still have originall TCCD, but they will be making switch soon.
GSkill is still using TCCD in LA, LE, and FF moduals. To my knowledge the only TCC5 they use so far is in the new FC which is much cheaper (>$200) and has heat spreaders.

They will have to switch to TCC5 after a while I am sure but hopefully they learned from the uproar when OCZ switched to announce it or change the Rev #.

TCCD is still being made. Samsung says that they are just fulfilling contractual obligations and that none will be found out of OEM sales.

I just purchased some Corsair 4400C25 that uses these modules.

Here's what I am getting from this ram:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=26169

Superpi/Prime95(24hours/2instances) and 100 loops of the Nature Test Stable!

R

ropey said:
TCCD is still being made. Samsung says that they are just fulfilling contractual obligations and that none will be found out of OEM sales.

I just purchased some Corsair 4400C25 that uses these modules.

Here's what I am getting from this ram:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=26169

Superpi/Prime95(24hours/2instances) and 100 loops of the Nature Test Stable!

R
Yeah Corsair has an exclusive agreement with Samsung so they are supposed to be the only company getting TCCD. However companies like Geil are releasing products like "One" which is supposed to be the top 30% TCCD and GSkill is still selling TCCD for its top modules. Here is Corsair's press release:

TCCD Supply Demystified

June 20, 2005 - The Samsung "TCCD" memory chip is the best overclocking IC for the AMD platform. Since speculation began about the TCCD reaching End-of-Life (EOL), the enthusiast community has been concerned about its near- and long-term availability. The purpose of this update is to provide a lead on the current status of this very popular IC.

The TCCD specification was tailor-made for Corsair by Samsung. As a part of the agreement, Samsung has agreed to directly supply Corsair's TCCD requirements until the end of 2005 and beyond.

Contrary to rumours that indicate universal unavailability of TCCD, Corsair continues to provide high performance XMS memory modules made with 100% Samsung original TCCD IC's.

There has been suggestions on TCC5 being an equal replacement of TCCD. While the ICs share similar names, they do not share identical performance characteristics. TCC5 is a down-bin of TCCD and does not deliver the same performance promise that TCCD does. Based on our stringent testing requirements, only TCCD can meet the demand. Corsair also uses TCC5 IC's but because they are of lesser capability, TCC5 IC's are used only in the lower grade parts.

Below is a list of TCCD based Corsair products that are currently shipping:

Product Family Product Name Module Speed Module Latencies

XMS 3200XL 400 MHz / PC3200 2-2-2-5
4400C25 550 MHz / PC4400 2.5-4-4-8

XMS PRO 3200XL PRO 400 MHz / PC3200 2-2-2-5

XMS XPERT 3200XL XPERT 400 MHz / PC3200 2-2-2-5

For more information on Corsair's products or the Samsung TCCD IC's, please email [email protected] or visit http://www.corsair.com

Thats a solid oc for a p4, whats your divider?

Strages, you thought about going with some sort of bh-5, or good winbound chip?

Nope, I'm not really interested in any winbond IC's because they can't reach the clock speeds I want to hit.

So Corsair is the only provider of TCCD IC's then. Well, looks like I"m going to be going with Corsair TCCD modules.

yeah, I saw those earlier. It's a helluva deal, but... I just don't want to spend $200 on something only to realize that I made a bad choice. Basically, I'm hoping for the safest choice here I guess. OCZ PC4800 has the reputation of being good RAM, but it's TCC5. TCCD has the reputation, but none of the good guys have it.

Just a couple of months ago in the College street area stores in Toronto, one could find "generic" PC3500 TCCD sticks aplenty. Around $60 for 512Mb at the time. Most of them were labelled Samsung though, so probably had Samsung original PCBs. I dunno if they've run out, just that 2 months ago was the last time I was in Toronto.

Back