Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

donations for the 40+ dead and 700+ injured

Thread Closed

Old 07-07-05, 01:32 PM Thread Starter   #1
theMonster
Disabled

donations for the 40+ dead and 700+ injured

I sincerely hope there is a campaign to provide some aid to the Londoners. I know us Irishmen and the Brits haven't always got along but this is civilians and not politicians. After all of the aid the US gave to the Tsunami people, the Africans and the Iraqis, I hope that we and others come to the aid of those who were one of the few to come to the aid of the US during 9/11. I called the local Red Cross and there is nothing official yet, as it is early.

This was directly planned to put on a spectacle in front of other nations at the G8 summit as a threat to show what happens to those who are allied with the US. Everything from here forward is a bit too much. Be careful! -- macklin01 It's time for the rest of the world to see Al Qaida for the cowards they are and flex a bit of muscle and either launch an all out assault to find and terminate bin-laden or decimate the hills of Afghanistan where he is thought to be hiding with the most powerful weapon that the US and Great Britain has in their arsenal.

Last edited by macklin01; 07-07-05 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 01:36 PM   #2
Bensa

Not meaning to be rude, there is a reason why Britain is a member of the G8, its one of the richest countries in the world, and with Labour in power, its pretty sure the people will be taken care of.

Many readers have noted that their newly purchased elephants won't properly fit into the AGP slot of the 8KHA motherboards because some capacitors were in the way. Since most elephants don't comply with the AGP 2.0 specification, we recommend that God does a product recall on elephants.
Old 07-07-05, 01:40 PM   #3
macklin01
Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Moderator on Vacation, Ph.D.

10 Year Badge

There's nothing wrong with expressing the sentiment to want to give to the victims. I'd imagine that the Red Cross would be a good place to start. -- Paul

Need image I/O for your science apps? Try EasyBMP

My biomedical research: Mathematical Cancer Modeling & Simulation

I'm on vacation as a moderator as I devote more time to my faculty position.
Thank you for your understanding if I don't respond to your PM. -- Paul
macklin01 is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile  
Old 07-07-05, 01:41 PM   #4
skou
Senior

10 Year Badge

I would voice my opinion, but I'd get this thread locked for sure! (I might get banned, too!)

Political crap removed by macklin01. skou, you know better than that. This is your warning. -- macklin01

steve

It was great while it lasted, but my other home is gone.

steve

Last edited by macklin01; 07-07-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 01:42 PM   #5
Feydd

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMonster
launch an all out assault.............with the most powerful weapon that the US and Great Britain has in their arsenal.
My thoughts exactly.

WD 40&80Gig 7200RPM HD
Saphire Radeon X800XT
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech Z-640's
Antec 410 watt PSU

-Natural selection, it's only natural.
Old 07-07-05, 01:42 PM Thread Starter   #6
theMonster
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensa
Not meaning to be rude, there is a reason why Britain is a member of the G8, its one of the richest countries in the world, and with Labour in power, its pretty sure the people will be taken care of.
Old 07-07-05, 01:43 PM   #7
willkill1337

The people have money, easily enough to live.
There is free medical healthcare for all, the NHS (National Health Service)
People haven't really lost any possesions and noone really has been made homeless as a result.

In Asia after the tsunami, millions of people lost their homes and livelihoods whereas today people have been killed, injured and traumatised but there is little direct monetary loss amongst the people. There may be some damage to the economy, but it will recover, as America's has done as a result of what happened on September 11th 2001.

Edit: I was a little late, and therefore gave a response to just the original, unedited comment but I do not believe that war is the solution. It is one of the things that aggrivates terrorists in the first place.

Last edited by willkill1337; 07-07-05 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 01:44 PM Thread Starter   #8
theMonster
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by skou
I would voice my opinion, but I'd get this thread locked for sure! (I might get banned, too!)

Political crap cut by macklin01

Last edited by macklin01; 07-07-05 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 01:46 PM Thread Starter   #9
theMonster
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkill1337
The people have money, easily enough to live.
There is free medical healthcare for all, the NHS (National Health Service)
People haven't really lost any possesions and noone really has been made homeless as a result.

In Asia after the tsunami, millions of people lost their homes and livelihoods whereas today people have been killed, injured and traumatised but there is little direct monetary loss amongst the people. There may be some damage to the economy, but it will recover, as America's has done as a result of what happened on September 11th 2001.
What about people who have been maimed and no longer can work to support themselves or what about the families of those whose breadwinner died and can no longer support themselves. Shame shame shame on this one-sided you are a rich country attitude!
Old 07-07-05, 01:49 PM   #10
macklin01

10 Year Badge

Let's tone down the political discussion here. The issue of the Saudi royal family, villainous or not, is a political one that should not be discussed here. Let's stick to the issue of support for the victims, or we'll close this thread. -- macklin01

As for support, there are those who will lose work time and income, and there are those whose families lost their primary sources of income, etc. Thankfully, this was a much smaller attack than 9/11, but it will be no smaller for those families who lost loved ones, and quite possibly, their primary breadwinners. -- Paul

Old 07-07-05, 01:50 PM   #11
twEEkerAreUs

Wow, this needs to be locked Lol

FYI there is nothing wrong with helping to give aid to people over a major disaster. Regardless if it was only one person or a million.

Quote:
Wow, no comment. Please think about what you just said for a few mins, then edit your post.

Thank you for your insightful action. -- macklin01

OCZ Platinum 3x2GB
Crucial M4 128GB SSD x2/WD Green 1TB x3
Hanns-G 28in/HIS Radeon 6950
Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Logitech Z-5500

Last edited by macklin01; 07-07-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 01:51 PM   #12
willkill1337

Welfare state, TheMonster. If you cannot afford to support yourself then the government provides you with housing and benefits. People have all the medical care and support they need. This rich country looks after it's citizens.
Old 07-07-05, 01:58 PM   #13
skou
Senior

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by twEEkerAreUs
Wow, this needs to be locked Lol

FYI there is nothing wrong with helping to give aid to people over a major disaster. Regardless if it was only one person or a million.

Wow, no comment. Please think about what you just said for a few mins, then edit your post.
You are completely right!

We need to drop MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF DAISIES, ON THOSE FUNDING THIS MASS KILLING!!! MAYBE PINK DAISIES!

Should we also drop our trousers, and bend over, so they can do what they want, easier?

Go look at downtown NYC, see that gaping smoking hole? (It's finally cleaned up, but you know what I'm talking about.)

steve

Please try to cool down a bit, Steve. Let's focus on the victims and their families, which is allowed in this forum, and not on the politics and what military actions should be taken, which is out of bounds. -- macklin01

steve
Old 07-07-05, 01:59 PM   #14
Bensa

Quote:
Welfare state, TheMonster. If you cannot afford to support yourself then the government provides you with housing and benefits. People have all the medical care and support they need. This rich country looks after it's citizens.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
The aid for the Tsunami disaster was required since the countries affected were poor and lost everything. On the other end of the spectrum you have a New Yorker who lost her husband and gained over 5 million USD in donations. What did she do with it? She spent it all on shopping, in the end when she realized she needed to put her two children through college and live off the money, she had less than 10% left.

Charity through government controlled means is the best in this situation, and if the British government deems it required, they will ask for donations or setup a mean of donations.

I see this mentality allways when there is a large disaster, fast donations don't really help that much in the end, a steady flow of funds to charities is best.
Don't just donate once if you want to help since there is a highly publicized media disaster, there are much worse things going on in the world where people get absolutely no help at all times.

Many readers have noted that their newly purchased elephants won't properly fit into the AGP slot of the 8KHA motherboards because some capacitors were in the way. Since most elephants don't comply with the AGP 2.0 specification, we recommend that God does a product recall on elephants.
Old 07-07-05, 02:00 PM   #15
skou
Senior

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklin01
Let's tone down the political discussion here. The issue of the Saudi royal family, villainous or not, is a political one that should not be discussed here. Let's stick to the issue of support for the victims, or we'll close this thread. -- macklin01

Paul
Paul, what is wrong with discussing support for the terrorists?

steve

steve
Old 07-07-05, 02:01 PM Thread Starter   #16
theMonster
Disabled

Quote:

If you truly are in London, then I'm surprised you feel that way. Perhaps you're too proud to accept help or perhaps you think that free medical care and a shoddy flat in a bad area of town can make up for a family whose breadwinner making 40,000GBP a year and has none or a small insurance policy. I know we'll probably at least send bottled water, food and first-aid kits even if you don't need them. Why? Because we're allies and that's what we do. The US, Canada, Australia and Great Britain are all allies and can count on one another no matter what. The rest of the world hates us and/or uses us to give them money. Swallow your pride and let us do what allies do, stick together.
Old 07-07-05, 02:03 PM   #17
macklin01

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Paul, what is wrong with discussing support for the terrorists?

steve
Nothing is wrong with it in and of itself (and indeed, this should be encouraged in our daily lives!). However, political discussion is against the operating rules of these forums. i.e., this is not an appropriate venue for this topic of discussion, interesting and important though it is. Thank you for your understanding. -- Paul

Old 07-07-05, 02:05 PM   #18
willkill1337

Yes, I say by all means may there be a fund for helping the people through this and supporting their long term cause.

However I do not believe that they need sympathy and millions to themselves as they do not need this money and it comes directly from milking the sympathy of others in harsh times. These people can live on and thousands dying in places such as Africa are more in need of aid.
Old 07-07-05, 02:06 PM   #19
skou
Senior

10 Year Badge

If this Forum was around in the early '40s, we wouldn't be allowed to discuss WWII!!

Guys, WWII WAS the '40s!

steve

steve
Old 07-07-05, 02:13 PM Thread Starter   #20
theMonster
Disabled

Quote:
Yes, I say by all means may there be a fund for helping the people through this and supporting their long term cause.

However I do not believe that they need sympathy and millions to themselves as they do not need this money and it comes directly from milking the sympathy of others in harsh times. These people can live on and thousands dying in places such as Africa are more in need of aid.
They are nothing to us, they hate us and leach off of us and curse us for not giving them MORE money. the money and food we do give to them is mostly horded up and wasted by warlords and thus never reaches the people. They also do not try to help themselves, they only make their situation worse by not listening to what our governments are telling them. They are NOT our allies, GB is and we should care for and about those that care for and about us, not those that hate, curse and leach off of us. I support aid to the allies only

Thread Closed

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.