• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Orion xp400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Civlow

First off great site. Now I have a question about Orion xp400 ps (UL registered as Compucase power supply) Will it power my system after adding evga 6800 until I get the Forton ordered? System is: AMD 64 3500+ (no oc yet), 1gb Corsair, 200gb sata WD, sony combo drive, samsung dvd-r, 3 80mm led fans and one 80mm Tornado, Thermaltake Venus 12 cpu hs, and Radeon 9000 crapucard. Rails are real stable now and supposedly rated +3.3 35a +5 36A +12 17a but I don't know the quality of ps. Any imput would be appreciated

Welcome to the forums :)

Compucase is also known as Heroichi or HEC. Decent units, and as long as it's stable I'd tend to think it'll be ok, but I think with a 12v rating that low I would keep myself from overclocking until that Fortron arrives. Which Fortron btw?

I'm not sure it will power that 6800 - I think I would use an older less demanding vid card for the time being and wait on the new PSU.

I was looking at the Fortron Blue Storm AX500-A and a couple of the OCZ power supplies but I'm open to suggestions (unless they involve Antec 3 RMA's to many for me)

The AX500-A or the OCZ Powerstream 520w would do well for you :)

In the end, specs only get you so close to the truth. Since you are running the supply already, you have better information in the actual results. If the supply is not exhausting hot air and the voltages are stable, it is not straining appreciably. I concur in that I would not attempt overclocking until a more substantial unit can be obtained. I do think if the supply were going to pop, it would have already done so.

I also agree that the AX500-A Fortron is ideal for your system. If you want to go with the OCZ PS520, it is a good supply also and appreciably more powerful than the AX500-A, but you don't really need it. The AX500-A will maximize the potential of this rig, and by the time it won't, there will probably be a lot better alternatives than the current mega supplies (which include the OCZ PS520, Sparkle FSP550-60PLG, and PC Power&Cooling 510).

Back