• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building PC for friend which xp barton should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2600+ XP-M is the best overclocker due to unlocked multis and its lower default vcore over the desktop versions.

match it with a NF7-s and you're looking at 2.5-2.7ghz easy (with good cooling of course)

ummm .. i would talk him out of the socket A realm... try to nudge him towards A64 the best you can ...

but if he absolutely wont budge then go for the 2600 mobile for 97 bucks

Xtreme Barton said:
ummm .. i would talk him out of the socket A realm... try to nudge him towards A64 the best you can ...

but if he absolutely wont budge then go for the 2600 mobile for 97 bucks

what kinda xtreme barton tells people not to go socket A :p

Drec said:

One who has seen the light and knows you can get an a64 system for the price of a xp these days

I'm going with a socket A because I already have a motherboard for him and he is only willing to pay 400 bucks for the system. He wants to be able to play CS Source. And If i go 64 bit and have to buy a new motherboard + HD + memory + case then I wont have nearly enough left over for a decent video card.. say??

Drec said:

ah come on man ...

the kind that has seen them days come and go ... barton days in my eyes are long gone.. :rolleyes:

Neeseius said:
I'm going with a socket A because I already have a motherboard for him and he is only willing to pay 400 bucks for the system. He wants to be able to play CS Source. And If i go 64 bit and have to buy a new motherboard + HD + memory + case then I wont have nearly enough left over for a decent video card.. say??

the only obsticle is that mobo... and what is it by the way .. are you just building a el cheapo or what ??

elaborate on your hardware that your looking at ...

what hd are you getting , ram, video, etc...

Im gettin a Western Digital caviar 80 gig, a 9800pro, and the motherboard I already have is a gigabyte GA-7VAXP. Also I'm getting a gig of corsair value ram and a really cheap 30 dollar case. It has to be a 400$ budget and only has to play CS Source (so if it can do that it can pretty much play any game) if I went with Athlon 64 it would far surpass 400

Drec said:
2600+ XP-M is the best overclocker due to unlocked multis and its lower default vcore over the desktop versions.

match it with a NF7-s and you're looking at 2.5-2.7ghz easy (with good cooling of course)

Don't even consider anything else for Socket A. Newegg has been shipping out IDYHA 2600+'s which have been getting some very good results lately. I got mine over 2.6 GHz with an Abit NF7-S v2.0 and TCC5 RAM. Be sure to get good RAM if you can, because Athlon XP does not run well on a divider.

You can find a 9800 Pro for about $100, or a 6600 Ultra for about $130, so I think the money would be better spent on a video card or RAM than a new motherboard, even if you go to Venice core. Be sure to get a mobile Barton, DO NOT get a desktop Barton.

BTW (i hope someone remember from last summer) with that mobo GA-7VAXPA-ULTRA (it looks a bit simmilar) the max fsb i accomplished was 200 and cpu unlocked

Back