• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling on the cheap: effective, yet under $125?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

I have looked on every site that was recommended for water cooling parts, but by the time I have selected parts for:
Athlon 64 3400+ (socket 939)
nVidia 6600GT
Chipset for Abit AV8
the cost is well over $200. Even when you take out the chipset (which for me is not a dire need), the cost is 3-5 times the cost of the best (that money can buy) air cooling setup. My temps are 62/70(idle/load) WHICH IS VERY BAD!!! Yes, my heatsink needs lapping, but I don't need or want advice on fixing my air cooling setup, water is much more appealing (really good cooling, low noise, coolness). I have rigged a box fan up to blow a ton of air onto the whole interior-I NEED WATER COOLING! I am only willing to spend max $125; the $100 kits are apparently no better then say...an XP-90 or XP-120. (I have seen some people that switched from a Kingwin Arctic Cooler to an XP-120; it was that bad!).
This is a plee for someone to start a thread or, even better a sticky, that lists the options for air/water cooling. The ones I have seen are good, but the lowest price for the recommended parts is $150ish.
Thanks!

70C is not a bad temp, unless you are overclocking really hard. Chips are designed to go 80-90C stably.

But, if you want a cheap H2O system, grab a heater core, a cheap pump (Danner Mag3), and a Swifty 6000/6002 block.

Back