• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AMD CPU for Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aragorn Elessar

Registered
I currently have the setup in my sig, which is very decent for an XP. However, I am looking to upgrade again, thinking of a 939 MB. I admittedly have been a bit out of touch in the OC hobby since late last year and now I am paying the price. :)

So, in short, I am looking for a CPU/MB recommendation to upgrade from what I have now. What CPU is a good overclocker, and what MBs are the current favorites for OCing?

Youre help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
well if you look around most people will either tell you DFI Or ASUS i am currently in the process of saving up money for a DFI UT LAnparty NF3 skt 939 and an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and supposedly DFI has the best overclocking options. But i have no experience with them just look in the mobo section under DFI and read the threads... also what kinda money are you looking to spend that makes quite a huge difference in what kind of cpu you want assuming you are wanting an AMD... you have your Athlon 64's and Athlon 64 FX-55 which is i do belive their newest anyways read some posts on them :)

In terms of overclocking you get the biggest percent overclock by getting a slower cpu. That would be the 3000 venice. In terms of the highest clock speed, it world be one of the FX series. If you are planning a fresh build you may want to go with an nf4 board and a new pci-e video card. I woud get the cheapest venice for now, and down the road upgrade to a dual core X2 down the road when they are cheaper. Good luck.

I personally decided on a venice core 3200. DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D Motherboard, modded to SLI (not that i need it) and two Western Digital SATA Drives in Raid 0

Looks like from what I can gather, the Venice 3200 is the one. MBs are a different story. can't find one that seems to be consistent. Looks like numerous complaints about most of them.

Yea the venices can get huge O/Cs. I wish i would have waited to get one :(

good choice maraxus with your decision, you won't be disappointed.

Looks like from what I can gather, the Venice 3200 is the one. MBs are a different story. can't find one that seems to be consistent. Looks like numerous complaints about most of them.

You can find complaints about everything and everything, nature of the beast with what we do. The Nforce 4 DFI, however, I would consider to be the most widely recognized as the most solid and affordable OCing MB for the s939 platform, despite if there are some people having problems.

Wouldnt a FX 57 be one of the best because its speed binned for high speeds? Technically speaking i mean....and assumign you have a large budget.

"Best" is a very relative term that can refer to many different points of view. Two biggies I see in OC CPUs would be best performance and best value. A normal Venice still clocks very high for a very low price, giving it an outstanding value. The FX on the other hand, while it will clock faster in the end, more then likely won't see as large of percentage gain over its stock speeds. Plus, cooling is also a factor. From what I've read and seen, most Venice and San Diego's will max themselves out on good water before heat becomes a real issue. To really push the envelope with an FX, you'll need some extreme/premium cooling. Which again, is a lot more added cost.

Decide which is more important. Top speed at a price premium, or very respectable for a lot less money. Like I said before, its the nature of the beast in what we do ;)

Last edited:
superdaveviii said:
You can find complaints about everything and everything, nature of the beast with what we do. The Nforce 4 DFI, however, I would consider to be the most widely recognized as the most solid and affordable OCing MB for the s939 platform, despite if there are some people having problems.

Which one is the best? Lanparty NF4?

Back