• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing PSU and Case. *searched*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Binow

I searched through this section to determine what PSU would work best for my application and it seems like the FSP bluestorm 500 is what a lot of people are suggesting. I found it for $78 shipped from www.actbuy.com. There are also a few in the cyber deals section at the moment that seem to be pretty decent. The Seasonic S12 500w for 108.89 shipped and the OCZ ModStream 520 for $94 shipped. Out of the 3 listed which would be the best option, or maybe there is another option that I have not found in my searches that may work better for my application.

The system this will be going in:

AMD 3200+ Venice
ASUS A8N-E
BFG 7800 GTX
1 GB memory
2x 250GB SATA HD’s
2x optical drives

I don’t need a super flashy case or anything remotely close. I want something that provides good airflow. I really like my dell case (400sc), has a motherboard tray so I can just remove the tray pretty easily and the optical/HD’s are not screwed into the actually case. They have sliders attached to them to ease removing/installing. Any somewhat inexpensive cases that have any of these features? If not I’ll probably just go to my local Fry’s electronics to pick something up to save on shipping costs.

TIA

Binow said:
The Seasonic S12 500w for 108.89 shipped and the OCZ ModStream 520 for $94 shipped.
I would prefer OcZ... :)
Anyway herehttp://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=388390&page=1 is a package which includes many stuff and a PSU estimator.
I have Enermax 465Watts for 18 months and it is OK that's why I am Enermax fan... :)

For case?
No suggestions cos my system is 24/7 outside of case... :santa:

Last edited:
Binow said:
I searched through this section to determine what PSU would work best for my application and it seems like the FSP bluestorm 500 is what a lot of people are suggesting. I found it for $78 shipped from www.actbuy.com. There are also a few in the cyber deals section at the moment that seem to be pretty decent. The Seasonic S12 500w for 108.89 shipped and the OCZ ModStream 520 for $94 shipped. Out of the 3 listed which would be the best option, or maybe there is another option that I have not found in my searches that may work better for my application.

AMD 3200+ Venice
ASUS A8N-E
BFG 7800 GTX
1 GB memory
2x 250GB SATA HD’s
2x optical drives

I don’t need a super flashy case or anything remotely close. I want something that provides good airflow. I really like my dell case (400sc), has a motherboard tray so I can just remove the tray pretty easily and the optical/HD’s are not screwed into the actually case. They have sliders attached to them to ease removing/installing. Any somewhat inexpensive cases that have any of these features? If not I’ll probably just go to my local Fry’s electronics to pick something up to save on shipping costs.

TIA

The FPS (Fortron) Blue Storm is great, I think its cheaper at ewiz btw.
For a case just look for something with a front 120mm fan and rear 120mm one. Everything else is just a matter of taste.

I second the Bluestorm, I have one running my 3200 venice system. Very quiet also. I have heard good things about the Seasonic 600 but if you go with the OCZ get the powerstream instead of the mod.
I have the Antec P180 and its great for air flow. I also have an Antec 3700BQE that has a 120 in and 120 out back that is nice also, both use rails for mounting the optical's and slide out tray's for the hard drives, but they dont have removable motherboard tray's.

Binow said:

AMD 3200+ Venice
ASUS A8N-E
BFG 7800 GTX
1 GB memory
2x 250GB SATA HD’s
2x optical drives

TIA

If quietness matters, get the Seasonic. If it doesn't I would get the Fortron. The Fortron ax500 is actualy only 460w, BTW. I'd highly recomend that you read the reviews over at SPCR because they are very detailed.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section4.html

For a case... I'd reccomend an Antec, but none of them have a removeable motherboard tray.

The fortron is still very quiet. It has a 120mm fan and runs under 23db at 50% load (according to the manufacturer). I've got it in my system and the only thing i can hear is that stupid mobo fan.

ckj said:
The fortron is still very quiet. It has a 120mm fan and runs under 23db at 50% load (according to the manufacturer). I've got it in my system and the only thing i can hear is that stupid mobo fan.
Like I said, read the reviews at SPCR. They tes the power supplies in a very consistent way which allows them to be compared easily. The Forton AX500 outputs 36db @ 200w, 42db @ 250w, compare that to the Seasonic S12-500 which only outputs 25db @ 200w and 28db @ 250w. Thats a huge difference in a quiet system. If your not concerned about quietness as much as price then its an easy choice to get the fortron.

What voltage are you runing the nexus at? In any case the S12 is between 11-14db quieter than the ax500. For me that makes the decision of which one to get very easy.

Vulcan said:
What voltage are you runing the nexus at? In any case the S12 is between 11-14db quieter than the ax500. For me that makes the decision of which one to get very easy.
They are running at 12volts. I'm not saying that the Fortron is quieter than the Seasonic, what I'm saying is that its not a loud powersupply.

Back