• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single Disk Raid? To Span or Stripe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slack

I've got a 300gb SATA Maxtor drive and it's going to be the only HDD in my system at the moment.

I'm running it on a DFI SLi-D mobo, I've got to set it up as raid so I can get windows XP install to recognise it's full size... but which raid would be better for me? Stripe or Spanning? Bearing in mind that I may want to add a 2nd drive down the line - though I very much doubt I will want to mirror.

Cheers (and sorry if this is one of those weekly questions!)

Slack said:
I've got a 300gb SATA Maxtor drive and it's going to be the only HDD in my system at the moment.

I'm running it on a DFI SLi-D mobo, I've got to set it up as raid so I can get windows XP install to recognise it's full size... but which raid would be better for me? Stripe or Spanning? Bearing in mind that I may want to add a 2nd drive down the line - though I very much doubt I will want to mirror.

Cheers (and sorry if this is one of those weekly questions!)

Let's get something straight first. You are using the RAID Controller for the Serial ATA drive but you are not running in RAID. With that you will no longer have to think about Striping or Spanning or even Mirroring;)

What you would want to find out is why you have to use a third party controller to recognize the full size of the drive. Could it be that you are running a Pre-SP1/2 Install CD? My guess would be yes & you can learn about SlipStreaming Service Packs HERE.

Remove the Link in your Sig, the General Membership does not have permission to include links in there Sig as per the Rules that you agreed to when joining the Forums.

Back