• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A possibility of power surge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

First my R9800 started artifacting; when I switched to a PCI video card to boot up, Windows failed to load on my Raptor, so I just tried to reinstall it, only to find out that my Raptor seems to have gone silent... silent as in it doesn't seem to be spinning. And both these devices were connected to the same power strip coming out of the power supply unit... is this just a coincidence or am I just doing something wrong?

I'm using the one that came with my Raidmax case. On many different tries it failed, but I think I've narrowed the problem down to the power supply unit or the motherboard. I'm just going to buy a new PSU and see how that goes.

Schalldampfer said:
I'm using the one that came with my Raidmax case. On many different tries it failed, but I think I've narrowed the problem down to the power supply unit or the motherboard. I'm just going to buy a new PSU and see how that goes.
Yeah but the question is did it fry them...
Anyhow this is another lesson not to use cheap PSU's, one I have had to learn myself...

I tried both HDD's in my friend's computer and, quite thankfully, they worked just fine. So I've singled the problem to the two components mentioned.

Schalldampfer said:
I tried both HDD's in my friend's computer and, quite thankfully, they worked just fine. So I've singled the problem to the two components mentioned.
Save yourself some future headaches and get a good PSU this time. I'd go for a fortron AX500 if your on a budget.

Back