• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3200 is it pin compatable with higher clocked 184pin DIMMS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Errantone

Registered
Newbie OCer with simple question.....

Curious if PC3200 184pin DDR400 dual is pin compatible with say...184pin DDR500 memory? Are the DIMM just running at higher speeds or are their actual differences in the pin outs?

I am doubtful, but thought I would ask about compatibility.

Yes. All DDR ram will work thogether. You will however need to lower the speed of the fastest memory to that of the lowest speed memory (the motherboard will do this). So just because you put pc4000 ram in with your pc3200 doesn't mean the 3200 will now run at pc4000.

Take a look at the stickys atop the forum and you should find all the answers you need :)

SteveOCZ said:
Yes. All DDR ram will work thogether. You will however need to lower the speed of the fastest memory to that of the lowest speed memory (the motherboard will do this). So just because you put pc4000 ram in with your pc3200 doesn't mean the 3200 will now run at pc4000.

Take a look at the stickys atop the forum and you should find all the answers you need :)

Thanks for your help. I was curious if I was overclocking the memory would it make any difference if i used PC4000 ram vs PC3200 in a PC3200 system.

I will read a bit and see. Has anyone tried this? I assume yes.

Back