• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling NB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

I'm looking for a chipset cooler for a AMD build I will make. I've been looking at the Swiftech MCX159 and it looks pretty good but, I recently saw the Coolermaster Blue Ice. Anybody know how the Blue Ice performs?

-1cem4n

MicroCool Northpole is a quality built, effective NB cooling solution. I use a Vantec Iceberq 4 on my P4C800 NB but on this NB(P5WD2) I'm using the Microcool Northpole. Mine came with a Sunon fan. Check it out. The kit includes MOSFET sinks and PLL sinks aswell which are very good for ocing.

Banthur said:
Do you *need* a NB cooler?

As in do I have one? I have one but I want to replace it since I will be overclocking like mad and the one on my Intel System is already extremely hot. I will be using it on an AMD system which will be Watercooled and I don't know if I want to watercool the chipset too as I am not sure it would ever need watercooling.

I remember seeing the Microcool but I forget where I saw it from, I am definitely getting that.

-1cem4n

Banthur said:
Do you *need* a NB cooler?

I just finished creating a new NB cooler for my Epox 8RDA3I. You probably have a NB that is built on a smaller process thus having less voltage and less heat output so you have no "need" to worry about your NB. I guess all Nforce2 users have it bad in that the NB is pushed so much when overclocking the FSB or even just running 2 sticks of 512 in Dual channel.

So I can see that you feel there is no need for NB cooling because before all teh MB I have had and overclocked the NB never really go that hot. Now that I am using 2 nforce2 boards, they get freakin' toasty.

The board I am using right now also has a built in GeForce4MX. Can you imagine how hot a GPU, Dual Channel, 1 GB of RAM, and overclocking would get? Really hot. So that is why 1cem4n wants a new cooler probably.

Here is a new cooler that I constructed today because I was not willing to pay for the TR NBC1:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=398854

Good luck to you 1cem4n,
Bryan D.

1cem4n said:
As in do I have one? I have one but I want to replace it since I will be overclocking like mad and the one on my Intel System is already extremely hot. I will be using it on an AMD system which will be Watercooled and I don't know if I want to watercool the chipset too as I am not sure it would ever need watercooling.

I remember seeing the Microcool but I forget where I saw it from, I am definitely getting that.

-1cem4n

You'll like the MicroCool NorthPole, excellent build quality and performance.

Back