• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations on LGA Heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

Well ordred 640, now I need a new cooler for this baby..I was wondering which is more cost/performance efficient setup.

1. XP-120 + my currently owned Sunon 120 x 38 mm fan (fan bought in wrong size for my antec case, it still fits on back but it will fall if I shake the case)

2. XP-90 + my currenly owned 80 x 38 mm tornado (fan currently not using, laying there collecting dust)

3. Coolermaster Hyper 48 <- I've heard this baby just perform as well as the XP-90.

Feel free to suggest other coolers..if you know some, thanks :)

You can get XP-90 for pretty good price, but I'd use 92mm fan with it - 80mm fan is just waste of performance. XP-120 - I wouldn't get it - better XP-90C - similiar price, better performance. CM isn't bad but its performance to price ratio isn't great. Other options might be Scythe Ninja and Shogun and TT Typhoon and Silent Tower. There is also AC Freezer7 - I've got this one for Socket A mod, and it looks really great - it won't give temps like "performance heatsinks" but it's got prettyacceptable noise and after undervolting should be great for silent cooling. It can be also modded for 80 and 92mm fans.

Sounds like XP-90 is cheapest out of those and performs very well, so Xp-90 as it. 1 question tho..is it really does hurt performance when using a 80mm fan on xp-90?

You'll get around 13% less airflow actually hitting the fins with an 80mm compared to a 92mm (all else being equal), so.... If you weren't using a Prescott I'd suggest trying it anyway, but as hot as the Prescotts run, you might as well order a good fan at the same time and save on shipping.

Back