• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7 NB Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoBePmp

Is the stock NB fan adequate for OCing? I live in Miami and its very hot especially now that its summer. Also I'm using a Thermaltake silent boost to cool the CPU but want to replace the fan for better cooling , what is a good alternative that's not TOO loud.

Usuauly is, few people have had problems with the fans and my fan actually failed after a while. If you see unstability it might be the NB overheating.

Flip-Mode said:
Usuauly is, few people have had problems with the fans and my fan actually failed after a while. If you see unstability it might be the NB overheating.
So what would be a good replacement for the NF7 NB fan? I see a lot of people using that blue Zalman heatsink but I kinda prefer one with heatsink and a fan. I'm worried about heat as I live in Miami and I have very high ambient temps in my apartment even with the AC on.

I think I will get one too (Vantec CCB-A1C).

I have the nf7-s v2 also. My Nb is making a whining noise during startup, then goes away after a couple of min. I have read alot about faulty nb fans on the nf7-s v2. I have only had it a little over a year, but I think I will get one now to minimize any downtime.

Yea, my original NB fan made a whining / grindy noise at start-up and eventually (sometimes) went away, so I replaced it with the copper Vantec that looked the same.. Only reason I went with it tho was cuz it came free in a little Vantec cooling kit that I bought. It had a fatty passive NB heatsink, small SB heatsink and the heatsink/fan NB one. I put the passive NB one on my South Bridge, and put the heatsink/fan on the NB of course! lol, works great - btw, be sure to put something on the southbridge..or else things will misbehave, especially audio!

the stock cooler is barely adequate...

what is probably more important though is lapping the NB... the NFII NB chips are shapped like soup bowls... when I pulled my stock cooler off is had less than 10% contact... I don't care what cooler you have with that little contact it can't cool very well...

Read this guide on NB lapping with whatever NB cooler you get...

i myself use the swifttech mcx159a. it is pretty nice, tall not wide like the nb-1 series. installing is easy. i choose this because i have never liked thermaltakes' way of mounting fans, those little wire restaints, not very clean in my opinion. if you are changing the fan alot, yeah i can see it but if not, i wouldnt get it. you can get the mcx159a for 32.00 from performance-pcs.com and it is sleeved! they do a great job, i would highly recommend them by the way. i havent really stated overclocking yet, but ill let you know how it does.

kmrivers said:
i myself use the swifttech mcx159a. it is pretty nice, tall not wide like the nb-1 series. installing is easy. i choose this because i have never liked thermaltakes' way of mounting fans, those little wire restaints, not very clean in my opinion. if you are changing the fan alot, yeah i can see it but if not, i wouldnt get it. you can get the mcx159a for 32.00 from performance-pcs.com and it is sleeved! they do a great job, i would highly recommend them by the way. i havent really stated overclocking yet, but ill let you know how it does.

the nb-1 series is by Thermalright, not Thermaltake... and it's not too wide... you won't find a better NB cooler...

thing you've got good NB cooling, try running 2.4v through your NB and then see how well you can cool it.

If your case cooling is adequate you do not have to worry about the NB overheating. Generally internal case temp runs 20 - 25F over ambient room temp, so if your room is 77 to 80 degrees you need not worry 'cause we keep our house 77 and not a problem for the ABIT OC'd.

When I get a new MB first thing I do is take the NB HS off and replace the compound with AS and apply it right. Some MB's I have seen have a pitiful application of the HS compound. NB chips are a bit concave so you have to use a tad more compound. Another thing that helps is to lap the NB HS, takes about twenty minutes and well worth the time and effort.

I had two ABIT NF7-S and both NB fans failed in about a month. Huney

huneycutt said:
If your case cooling is adequate you do not have to worry about the NB overheating. Generally internal case temp runs 20 - 25F over ambient room temp, so if your room is 77 to 80 degrees
my case temp is around 40 degrees, my cpu is 60 degrees. I live in Miami and its summer so even with AC on full blast ambient temps are high, like 90 degrees

"I live in Miami and its summer so even with AC on full blast ambient temps are high, like 90 degrees."
WOW! Yup, that's a hot box you live in there Bro.'
I'm on the SC coast near the Georgia line and last week we had heat index 110F but our AC kept the house 77 to 78 all the time, ran most all day but did a good job. Anyway, my Sempron 3000 with AMD bundled cooler runs 35 - 40 C with the house 25C. One side intake fan blowing fresh air directly on the CPU HS fan and MB, one rear exaust plus exaust fan in PSU. None of the case fans are high volume & noisy, 25 CFM and 21 decibles which is whisper quiet.
http://www.nexfan.com/pa80lowspfan.html http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/zanoco.html

You mentioned noise. http://www.orionfans.com/html/decibels.html That thar link will give you something to relate to.

http://www.tapdig.com/tech/case_mod/ Some cases have little holes or slits for your fan to intake or exaust throgh. Not good because they can restrict air flow as much as 50% so do the mod and let your fans breather and pump air like they should. Also, fan blades buyfffeting starving for air are noiser than blades spinning free with non-restricted, adequate air flow.

Radio Shack has a Nibble for about ten bucks, piece of cake to cut out the hole(s). You know SpoBePmp, I always wondered why every air cooled case doesn't have a side fan blowing fresh, cool air directly on the MB and CPU and if you're rad OC'ing a top blow is a piece of cake mod. Hope you get 'er cooled down and let us know if we can be of further asistance. :cool: Huney.

Back