• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my air conditioner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techun

sorry this doesnt really belong here, but you guys would know the answer

when i leave my window ac on for long period in my room, after a couple hours it stopped putting out much air, and it's not very cold

with it running for about 8 hours in a closed small room it got to like 69 degrees then 74 when i woke up. There's no controls, just on or off, lol

I look inside and the radiator, or whatever with fins is completely frosted over, like inside an old freezer..guessing this is the problem?

any way to get my room cold

Yes that is the problem, the air froze up. Probably from being on too long. There are NO other controls on the unit? BTW check the filter isnt too dirty as this is one of the cause for AC units to freeze.

Your air conditioner is working too hard and when it freezes over it stops working. It's nothing more than the a/c unit is getting to cold and then it can't continue working till it thaws out. The same thing used to happen to the house a/c at my Parent's old house when it ran too long.

You need one with a temp controller so it can turn itself on and off based on the temp of the room.

you wanna get that frost off of there. you can turn it off and let it warm up and thaw, or use a stiff brush to start knockin it off., just go the same way the fins are, so you dont bend them flat and really block up the airflow.

im guessing that the humidity is rather high in there. if you get more flow through the evaporator (that radiator liek thing) it will make it frost up less. if you could somehow reduce the humidity in the room, that would help as well, but there arent any easy ways to do that, although the AC does help that a bit. by reducin the temp it lowers the amount of water the air can hold. it usually drips inside the AC, ever notice how window units usually are dripping outside? thats the water condensing on the cool coils.

four4875 said:
you wanna get that frost off of there. you can turn it off and let it warm up and thaw, or use a stiff brush to start knockin it off., just go the same way the fins are, so you dont bend them flat and really block up the airflow.

im guessing that the humidity is rather high in there. if you get more flow through the evaporator (that radiator liek thing) it will make it frost up less. if you could somehow reduce the humidity in the room, that would help as well, but there arent any easy ways to do that, although the AC does help that a bit. by reducin the temp it lowers the amount of water the air can hold. it usually drips inside the AC, ever notice how window units usually are dripping outside? thats the water condensing on the cool coils.

Try using a hairdryer and a bucket for the water also.

well there's no way im doing that, this is an old piece of crap we got for free
and not a single air conditioner we own has controls to keep a room at a certain temperature, but atleast they have high/low controls

would blowing the fan sitting next to it into it help?

Unplug everything, look inside, clean off all dust and stuff, try removing the ice off the fins, let the whole until stay at room temperature unplugged for about a day

techun said:
I look inside and the radiator, or whatever with fins is completely frosted over, like inside an old freezer..guessing this is the problem?

Window air conditioners need to slope backwards so the condensed water can flow away. Your conditioner is allowing water to sit below the radiator and the water is splashing on to it and freezing. Eventually so much ice builds up it stops working. Slope your unit well back and make sure the drain hole is open. You should see water pouring out of it. If you don't it isn't draining properly. A properly sloped unit can run 24/7.

since it doesn't have any thermostat controls...maybe you could get one of those timers...like the ones that turn your lights on and off at pre-set intervals when your on vacation...that might help out with the freezeup problem...allow it to warm up so to speak once in a while :shrug:

The frosting over problem usually don't occur unless the outside air temperature is low, usually in the autumn.

If the temperature outside is that cool....in the Autumn like you say..you don't really need it do ya. Just pop a fan in the window :)

Back