• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hp zd8000 unhappyness :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

ok heres the thing, i really want a 17" athlon 64 gamer notebook. i cant find one anywhere and am settling for a 3.0ghz p4. i tried out a hp zv6000 which has a 15.4" athlon 64 at 2.2ghz and i loved it but the graphics was lame. only came with a ati x200 whcih sucks and got a 5000 3dmark2001se. the good thing was the athlon was faster than this 3p4 unit in everything but video and memory. so far my options are a dell 9300 but it only comes with a 2.0ghz or slower and a fast nvidia 6800. again this is an intel chip which i think is lame. the acers are fast but no 17" screens. does anyone know of a athlon 64 gamer notebook with 17" screens? need help finding one.

the 2.0 in the 9300 is a pentium m. It will perform like a p4 in the 3 ghz+ range. As you know from AMD, cpu frequency does not mean much anymore.

J.

Hate to break it to you ya, you will not find any A64 laptop with anything X700. If you want 17" plus power Dell 9300/XPS 2 only ways to go. Also Intel's Pentium M has the same IPC Preformace, they do about the same work per clock cycle. The 9300 can be had as cheap as 1300$ which is your best bang for buck

I just made the switch from the system in my sig to a Dell 9300, and I can't recommend it enough. After some very mild video overclocking (and that's it so far), I've managed to hit in the 4600 range in 3DMark05. At 1440x900, CSS and WoW look freakin brilliant, and I have no problem cranking everything up.

As far as the processor goes, I don't know why you have a problem with the Pentium-M. It's hard to beat as far as battery life versus performance goes. In most linear tasks, it's as quick if not faster than my desktop, but it does lack the multitasking power that the P4 has.

The thing is retarded cool too. The fan is almost never audibly running, and the CPU sits in the mid to upper 20s during normal usage. Even at full tilt, you can't hear the fan over the speakers (which are killer for a laptop), and it never gets warm.

I just spent a few weeks looking for the same thing you are now--an Athlon64 /Turion64 notebook with a decent videocard. If you're serious about the videocard thing, they just don't exist. You're either tethered to a wall with a P4 desktop processor, or you've got a Pentium-m and 6800Go in the form of the 9300 or the XPS 2.

really? wow the pentium m sound like a winner. i saw the new acer has the turion64 @ 2.0ghz and an x700. do you think that would be a good machine? im telling ya i have a 2.2ghz 64 just weeks ago and traded it in for this p4 3.0 and the amd was faster in everything but memory and video playback. the only reason i turned the amd in was cuz it had a weak *** video card and only did 5000 in 3dmark2001se. this p4 notebook does 12888 with mild video ocin which is good i think for a notebook. costco sells them dells so maybe ill try one out. what do you thing about the new acer 4000? to much funds for the performance?

The Acer is decent, but again X700 Only. Plus that laptop costs 2000$, vs a 1300-1400 9300 with a better screen and gpu. IMO its a no brainer, for a DTR for cheap, 9300 is the only way to go. This comeing from a person who had

3400Moblie [email protected]
1GB TCCD
X800Pro Flashed to X800XT PE speeds
2 80GB SATA HDs in Raid 0
NEC DVD Burner and a 19" Viewsonic P95F+ Black

That system rocked, but the portabilty of the 9300 is perfect, and this way nI can spend money on parts.(I buy thousands of dollars in parts yearly just to O/C and tweak) This way I can't, and I save money. I get about 18-19K in 01, 9300 in 03, and I have not run 05 on my new Dell 9300, but I would say thats damn good. Once O/Ced, the 6800go is basically a stock 6800NU+a 3000-3200 A64. :santa:

AL Romero said:
really? wow the pentium m sound like a winner. i saw the new acer has the turion64 @ 2.0ghz and an x700. do you think that would be a good machine? im telling ya i have a 2.2ghz 64 just weeks ago and traded it in for this p4 3.0 and the amd was faster in everything but memory and video playback. the only reason i turned the amd in was cuz it had a weak *** video card and only did 5000 in 3dmark2001se. this p4 notebook does 12888 with mild video ocin which is good i think for a notebook. costco sells them dells so maybe ill try one out. what do you thing about the new acer 4000? to much funds for the performance?

See my two systems below : My laptop is faster than my A64 rig in everything I have done with it, Games, CAD etc. I am amazed at this P-M chip.

no kidding? wow can anyone post some sandra 2004 screen shot of the cpu aritmatic, memory bandwidth, and maybe the cache memory benchies for me to see how they are against this p4 3.0?

EDIT-
Vengince- i looked at dell online and for a 2ghz with the upgraded screen, hdd, and video card its not anywhere close to 1300. try 2300 :p still tho if it performs as good as you all say its worth it. still can i get some screen shots of a 2.0ghz dell 9300?

Last edited:
Look for the 750$ off cupuon. Also grab just 256, and get a 1GB stick from newegg. Also get a 1.6, and then buy a 400FSB dothan and do the pin mod if you are savy, instant 2-2.26GHZ PM. Also just get the 80GB 5400RPM, or 60GB 7200RPM. Everything eles is over priced. If you mess with the configeration, you can have a loaded 9300 for 1500-1600 after tax and shipping :)

did you do the pin mod? im not so sure about screwing with stuff like that. also isnt the 533fsb going to be a much better system? plus the 533's have the 2mb cache.

EDIT: never mind i get it, the pin mod unlocks the cache as well. know anyone who has done this? i googled and found this link :

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=80879&page=1&pp=15

also here is the option for cpu in the curent 9300 and they are already 2mb cache enabled and they are higher number cpu's. will it still work?

check out this weak *** 3dmark05 of my current hpzd8000:

Last edited:
To do the pin mod, you'll have to buy a different Pentium-M 1.6. You need one of the 400 FSB ones, and then you force it to run at 533 (unfortunately, heh).

I think it's over, but you should check around for Dell's 35% off coupon. I got my 9300 for around $1500 with a 60GB 7200RPM HDD, 1GB RAM, 6800Go, et cetera. The only thing I didn't get was the 2Ghz Pentium-M (got the 1.86 instead).

Have to really reiterate, after having it for a few now, this thing is unbelievable. My poor desktop has been turned off since a couple of hours after I got it, and I can't understand why anyone would go back.

dang with that kinda review from you i think im gunna have to get one. can you post a 3dmark05 or 3dmark2001se? they are free to download.

EDIT: have you seen the dell xps's lately? its down to 2199! i might just get that one. suchs tho i have to dish out major more fundage it i do. :(

Last edited:
Back