• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Windows Bootup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

I just reformatted my hard drive and put a fresh install of Windows XP Professional. After getting all the drivers and service packs set up, the OS started loading very slowly. Here is what is installed.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1A
DirectX 9.0c
nForce 6.35 Drivers
ATI Catalyst 5.6
SB Audigy2 Drivers
Opera 8
SisoftSandra 2005

This is all I have put on the system as of yet. Here is how it is loading

nForce4 Splash Screen
Second Boot Screen
Windows XP Splash Screen - lasts for 33 seconds
Blank Screen - lasts for 41 seconds
Login Screen

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

I noticed you have an Audigy 2 installed, and as such the drivers for it may be causing the problem...as they did with me. Start | Run | Type...msconfig, and click OK | In the System Configuration Utility, select the "Startup" tab | Check for the following startup items...RCMan, and SbDrvDet | If either is found, uncheck them, click OK and reboot. RCMan is the Remote Control Manager, and SbDrvDet is the Sound Blaster Driver Detector...both of which are installed when you perform a "Full" install of the Audigy 2 software.

If you're not using a remote, it's not necessary to have it checked in the Configuration Utility...in fact, you can choose to not install it during the software installation phase. Loading the Driver Detector on my system causes major havoc, especially when the Remote Control Manager is also being loaded. It took me quite a bit of troubleshooting to finally figure that one out.

if it is still slow try a program called tunexp over at driverheaven.net. Do the ultra fast booting option, and read the help me file as to what tweaks to enable for your system.

Back