• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improvement for GTA SA keyboard control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
keyboard and mouse control is fine on it - the only thing I would recommend is turning off mouse control for flying...faaaaar too sensitive to control it properly, but I really couldnt imagine playing it on analogue, be horrible for aiming

I remap up, left, down, and right arrow keys for movement (but keep the standard w, a, s, d settings as well) ...I've switched the space to jump and Lshift to run. With these I can use W, A, S, D, and the mouse for foot movement...then when I hop onto a vehicle I move my right hand off the mouse and to the arrow keys for control...leaving my left hand in the same place for Q and E (view) and spacebar (handbrake)

The only thing that really ****es me off is the helicopter controls...whoever decided you need to have two hands on the keyboard THEN map the missile fire to the left mouse button (and this cannot be changed, as far as I can see) should be shot.

space for jump, rshift for run. Most other things are stock other than mapping some extra controls to my 5-button microsoft mouse.

And yes, the keyboard controls for the planes/helicopters are tough. I don't remember Vice City have such tough controls for there planes. I spend hours beating the runway missions.

Honestly the ideal setup for SA is a 3-controller setup. keyboard/mouse for foot controls, and dual-analog gamepad for cars/planes/helicopters. digital movement for foot controls is ok, but for driving and flying you really need the full range of movement to control steering, rutters, etc. Personally, I don't have this setup, but if you really wanted better control of SA, I think this would be ideal.

I bought an Xbox controller and a USB adaptor. Should be here tommorrow, Ill tell you what I think.

I got hooked on this game for Xbox, but couldn't afford to lay out $300 for 1 game.

The mouse and keyboard just don't work for me. Mainly because of the fact that the mouse controlls the vertical movement of the camera, and the lack of buttons, even with a 7 buton mouse.

Those remap suggestions sound good I will try them out.

What about the enter button for jumping in and out of vehicles? That one is really unintuitive.

dfonda said:
Those remap suggestions sound good I will try them out.

What about the enter button for jumping in and out of vehicles? That one is really unintuitive.

I like "E" as its the use key in almost every other game, and its in an easy enough spot to get to.

Nostromo N52.

Programmable Keys for Custom Macros with custom delays between key presses. Why download a trainer? Make your own trainer.
n529ry.png

If you look youll see a Cycle Shift Button, which will Shift the Colored Arrows at the Top to the Original Template. This allows for custom configs, you can change in game...using the Cycle Shift button.
n52g0iq.png

n52m2lp.png

If your still with me, then you probably realize how much potential this thing has. I wont even go into my UT2004 macros....use your imagination.

Last edited:
I don't have any real trouble at all, only thing I don't like: no auto-lockon with weapons (even though it says it is available under controls) but aiming is easy enough with mouse+keyboard so I don't complain much. I use arrows for movement, enter for sprint, Rshift for jump, kp_0 for enter vehicle/use, all the rest of my buttons are on my MX510.

Janus67 said:
I don't have any real trouble at all, only thing I don't like: no auto-lockon with weapons (even though it says it is available under controls) but aiming is easy enough with mouse+keyboard so I don't complain much. I use arrows for movement, enter for sprint, Rshift for jump, kp_0 for enter vehicle/use, all the rest of my buttons are on my MX510.

Really, there is no auto-lock?

Humm, I thought that was just becuase I was using the mouse.

GTA isn't that great on a controller....basic driving in a car and certainly flying is better...but drivebys are MUCH more difficult

and BTW...there is an auto-lock-on...you just have to use the classic controls to get it (on a keyboard)

I must just be well to accustomed to the controller based setup (played since GTA3) and i just don't think i could fathom the use of a keyboard being better. and on ps2 i always use the auto lock on feature

I have the Xbox Controller for GTA. And I LOVE IT. But Flying is Killer. I die everytime.

Lotec

Simple mouse+keyboard controls, I have remapped the WASD key to W down lean, S back lean and A+D to fire controls so I've got excellet control firing with the helicopter and planes.

I use the newest version of the cordless logitech game pad.....wouldn't play this game any other way. Imo, games like this deserve a game pad over keyboard and mouse, leave the mouse and keyboard for the fps's.

Lotec25 said:
I have the Xbox Controller for GTA. And I LOVE IT. But Flying is Killer. I die everytime.

Lotec

Can you get the analog pad and the right joystick working?

no i can not get the analog to work. but i have not messed with it. The right joystick works.

Lotec

i remapped the controls to GTA:VC controls. there were a few extra stuff, but most of the controls were easy to port over.

i played VC religiously, so i HAD to use the controls.

{PMS}fishy said:
Really, there is no auto-lock?

Humm, I thought that was just becuase I was using the mouse.
that is what I meant, that on the pc (at least while using the kb/mouse combo) I would push the auto-lockon button and it wouldnt do anything.

Back