• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ack, someone please help with model numbers!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittleMike

Hey gang, if anyone can help me I'd be much appreciated because I can't find the answer anywhere. I bought 2 7B300S0 Maxtor drives from NewEgg. One was defective so I RMA'd it with Maxtor. They sent me a 7L300S0 instead. Does anyone know what the difference is? I've seen the 7L300S0 sold for about $20 less than the 7B300S0. I tried looking it up on Maxtor's site, but the only thing I could find was a data sheet. According to the data sheet, the only difference was that the L version was RoHC compliant. Otherwise they are exactly the same. That would put my mind at ease but for the fact that everyone is selling the L's for cheaper than the B's. Does anyone know the real difference between the two? I want to know if Maxtor is ripping me off here, or if what they sent me is exactly the same for all intents and purposes. Thanks!

*EDIT* Searching on NewEgg I found the answer. Maxtor didn't rip me off, NewEgg did! In case anyone is curious, the 7L300S0 is the newer revision - RoHS compliance, but that's it. So the drive Maxtor sent me is newer. So get this though, I ordered the two drives on 6/28/2005 at 4:43:46 PM. They were $185 each. I go to look up the drives on NewEgg now - DISCONTINUED! And not only that, but they're selling the 7L300S0's for $175! $10 cheaper for the newer ones! I am outraged at NewEgg! What's the name of the rep that reads these boards, because I really want to express my dissatisfaction with their service. First they send me a defective drive, and now they sell the newer one for cheaper - 2 weeks later?! That is ridiculous!

Last edited:
Oops. You are right. My links were wrong.

RoHS is a new standard set by the European Union to become more enviromentally friendly. Both drives are equal, other than the fact that one is more enviromentally safer than the other. Linky -> http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...hannelpath=/en_us/Technologies/RoHS Compliant

As for the price drops and product switches... well, that's online vendors today. I have no clue why Newegg did that, but the Newegg Rep will probably respond to PMs. Send a PM to this user -> http://www.ocforums.com/member.php?u=58970

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
dark_15 said:
Oops. You are right. My links were wrong.

RoHS is a new standard set by the European Union to become more enviromentally friendly. Both drives are equal, other than the fact that one is more enviromentally safer than the other. Linky -> http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...hannelpath=/en_us/Technologies/RoHS Compliant

As for the price drops and product switches... well, that's online vendors today. I have no clue why Newegg did that, but the Newegg Rep will probably respond to PMs. Send a PM to this user -> http://www.ocforums.com/member.php?u=58970

Hope that helps! :)

Thank you so much, dark, you've been incredibly helpful. I just sent a PM to Jason, and hopefully he can give me some better news. He would be their only saving grace for me right now. I am so disgusted with their service right now, it's not funny. As a first time buyer from them (as you know) this is not the service I expected from a company with their reputation. You know what they say about first impressions, and they couldn't have done any worse with me. It was bad enough that the drive was defective, okay it happens, but it doesn't instill alot of confidence in the company with me, but on top of that, to discontinue the product 2 weeks after I bought it, and then sell the newer model for cheaper? That clinches it for me. I'll just shop ChiefValue and Monarch from now on. I was absolutely disgusted. Thanks again for the help, you guys are the best. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have the new rig up with the watercooling and then I'll have plenty of pictures for you guys :)

Back