• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can this AMD CPU be Overclocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oner8214

Registered
Hello, I have an HP Pavillion 520c and I really want to overclock it. I'm new to OC but I do understand that I need good cooling for overclocking. It contains the following: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ Palomino with stock HS & Fan, Asus A7V-ML motherboard, (2) 256MB SDRAM PC 133 Smart Modular sticks, ATI Radeon 256MB X700Pro card, & Stock PSU (not sure how much power). I have tried to change cpu settings in Bios but there is nothing there to change. Can you guys recommend me on some upgrades and suggestions on how to overclock this puppy? Thanks.

Welcome to the forums. Palominos are multiplier locked so your only choice would be to increase the FSB.

Frequency MHz = multiplier x FSB
in your case 10.5 x 133

I believe HP, Compaq, etc. systems are not overclocker friendly but even if you had a system on which you could adjust the FSB, you would likely not get very far on stock Palomino cooling + weak power supply.

You probably have PC2100 generic RAM which can usually do (on average) low 150s FSB at most.

So you would be looking at running your 1600+ at 1700+ or at most 1800+ speeds. It wouldn't be anything you could really 'feel.'

If instead of a Palomino you had an old Thoroughbred or Barton Athlon XP, you could do some overclocking with those that you could really 'feel.'

But your motherboard/BIOS probably have no settings you can adjust. Some old motherboards have jumpers that you physically move to adjust the settings...

Thanks for the quick response, I was hoping I could do something whit it but it's ok. I'm going to be upgrading anyways.

You should probably post a thread about what you plan on buying & where, that way people can tell you if there are better deals...

They actually come in AGP too. Bought it at Best Buy. I will surely be upgrading and I actually already started a new thread about my new purchase here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=399403. Will this system be any good for gaming AMD 64 3500+ Venice w/ MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum? I don't think I'll be doing any overclocking since I have yet to learn.

Back