• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good cooling from DELL?!!??!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustanley

I was suprised to see how well designed these new Dimension cases really are. Dell recently upgraded many models to the BTX form factor. The case appears to be all aluminum and plastic. Most importantly, the CPU cooler is a massive heatpipe design with a ducted 120mm fan pulling air directly from the front of the case and through the cooler. If I can figure out how to get a temp reading from one of these, i'll post idle and load temps.

dell1.jpg

dell2.jpg

dell3.jpg

dell4.jpg

yeah honestly i was very impressed when i saw that. they have another series that is all mesh front panel, too. plus a nice heatpipe cooler and 2 fans in the psu, right? Good for them.

well.. after preschots went big ..i know of alot of people who had to get there dell fixed becasuse it overheated.. (ofcorse they come to me.. insted of called dell.. ) but most of the time.. the temps drop alot if they used GOOD THERMAL PASTE. hope u didnt miss my keyword there.. haha i donno what they were doing for a time.. they had some type of ..looked like alumiume paste, with a part of .. softer alumine.. ..gah just natsy

Edit: i also think that this phase comes to mind = spend alot save alot. ... i think even tho its costing more to make bigger heatsinks/ and duct it all .. (i wish i was the guy who made the design.. must be richer then heck) it will save the cpus from getting killed.. damn heat.. next thing u will know.. is dell will be useing phase change.. haha

its coming to the point where they HAVE to use good cooling, because of intel's continuous pushing of thermal specs
if dell were to actually TRY AMD, they might be having even cheaper pcs!!!
but no....

Zulu-1 said:
its coming to the point where they HAVE to use good cooling, because of intel's continuous pushing of thermal specs
if dell were to actually TRY AMD, they might be having even cheaper pcs!!!
but no....

tru. i built a laptop on compaq/hp's website for gaming, and it totally blew the XPS laptop away, i mean WHY WOULD YOU PUT A MOBILE CPU IN A GAMING SYSTEM? one that you cannot overclock! :bang head

i mean i had a mobile cpu in my last rig, but i overclocked it and had the ability to overclock it, in a brand new dell XPS system its locked by the mobo, so theres no point.

and i had a dell 8400 at one point, the cooling was kinda setup like that, but to me, the only good cooling i got out of it was by taking the delta fan out of the case when i parted the computer

Why is this such a surprise? Dell has been doing this for years. Why the hell do you think all of their systems are so quiet? They use a sufficient cooler, duct it to a BEASTLY fan (temp controlled, mind you), and then close up the case. That's how its been, and it's definately not changing.

she-ra said:
Great new design!! :)

Much more sleek than the old style.

Agreed, my 7 month old 8400 looks dumpy compared to these 9100 machines. The heatsink looks the same, but the ducting and fan size have been seriously overhauled. Now if only there was a way to overclock...

I mean, cmon, this is extravagent cooling for a 3.0GHz Prescott, just begging to be overclocked.

I'm with the rest of you though, Dell needs to offer some AMD models in all their lineups; desktop, laptops, workstations, servers... AMD is handily beating Intel in all these areas except for the mobile arena.

Sump'tin ain't right about that picture........

the case opens on the wrong side........

onboard video........

pci slots misplaced.......

they did a mobo re-design ! those bastages !

stole my design !! (cats out now) :D

is that a temp controlled 120mm fan?

that's vented from both sides right? (see pic #2 - light on right side through grill)

I bet that's a dust collector !

Very nice design, well done, clean looking.

make a nice H20 case. :D

SolidxSnake said:
Why is this such a surprise? Dell has been doing this for years. Why the hell do you think all of their systems are so quiet? They use a sufficient cooler, duct it to a BEASTLY fan (temp controlled, mind you), and then close up the case. That's how its been, and it's definately not changing.

I'm not suprised, I just figured many people here on the forums would be since most probably don't spend much time with prebuilt systems. I have been buying and usings Dells for the past 6 years or so, and for most part they have done an excellent job providing adequate cooling at low volume.

This design is by far the best I've seen from a manufactured PC.

WarriorII said:

onboard video........

pci slots misplaced.......

they did a mobo re-design ! those bastages !

stole my design !! (cats out now) :D

is that a temp controlled 120mm fan?

that's vented from both sides right? (see pic #2 - light on right side through grill)

I bet that's a dust collector !

Very nice design, well done, clean looking.

make a nice H20 case. :D

lmfao

But yeah, its a temp controlled fan, just like in all dells. And trust me, you short out the temp sensors on those fans bases, they are LOUD! They push a TON of air too.

WarriorII said:

onboard video........

Actually, I had pulled the video card and the hard drive before taking the picture. Wanted to get a look at the components they are using. ATI x300 PCI-E and a Samsung Spinpoint P series 160gb hard drive (nice drives btw).

WarriorII said:
my 120 does 108 cfm @12v. :D

ahhhh.... i see..... er... /not in pic

still think it'd make a good H2O case tho.....
:cool:

lmfao, I got a 92mm from another dell that does around 110cfm at 12v (shorted temp sensor)... sadly, its like 52dBa

i find that dell always either does 1 of 2 things with there systems.

sell them with really LOW end videocards, or Extreamly high end videocards.. that usely end up dieing becasue of there low psus and heat.. (if u dont know..i work on computers for one of my jobs.. like half the people at this site lol ) and i have seen some 1-3 year old dells that.. i could make a full blanket with all the hair/ dust i find in them.. its nasty..

and once i had to take apart the psu .. (it was about to die anyways) and it was..well.. the guy asked me why the fan stoped working.. and his computer keep crashing..) it was just pure dust.. no smoke tar stuff becaue the guy didnt smoke (thank god) but .. o yuck.. replacled it with a pcp&c psu.. and added 2 xtra hdds.. and the guy loved it.

maybe i should go over and take pics of my dell.. haha.. i love the way it opens.. big stell thing with platic cover haha

It would be more efficient if the hot air from the heatsink was ducted out of the case somehow..... But apart from that, its good :)

SolidxSnake said:

Unfortunately, on their older design clamshell cases, the hard drives and PCI/AGP cards get a good roasting.

crana c said:
It would be more efficient if the hot air from the heatsink was ducted out of the case somehow..... But apart from that, its good :)

it is. That fan is an exhaust. It pulls the hot air through the heatsink and sends it out the front.

Back