• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to shave $26 plz help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

I am getting a new system and the total comes to $1,026 and i need that to be a 3 digit number. I am also ordering all the stuff off newegg, but am open to suggestions by other sights. But i really dont wanna be ordering seperate parts from all different sights. The reason for shaving off a measly $26 is that my parents probly wouldnt let me buy a computer over $1,000. Dont ask me....its just how they think.

Mobo- DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D $135
Video card- HIS Hightech P-ICE80XN-2I-ZAM Radeon X800XL $288
PSU- OCZ Powerstream 520 $135
HS/F- Thermalright xp-120 $54.99
Fan- Masscool 120mm fan $4.99
Memory- OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 $167.99
Processor- 3000 venice, retail $146

Total $931.97
Tax $67.57
Shipping $26.96

(Real) Total $1,026.50

What do you mean internet out of state, i live in California and through what SBC says the building is in my town. But oh well. :)

*Edit* Through getting the refurbed card im now down to $927, that is way more than i could of asked for, so its good. But i have have some bad experiences with refurbed stuff, you think i should go for the card still? I might have to take my chances though.

Grab the Fortron 500w Bluestorm from eWiz.com for $72 shipped and you are under budget. That PSU is just as good as the OCZ 520w Powerstream and almost $70 cheaper to boot.

Ad Rock said:
Grab the Fortron 500w Bluestorm from eWiz.com for $72 shipped and you are under budget. That PSU is just as good as the OCZ 520w Powerstream and almost $70 cheaper to boot.

I heard that the duel 12v 15amp rails wasnt powerful enough for me wanting to overclock my venice to the limits. Otherwise i really like the AX500-A and getting it off newegg would put me under my limits also.

Jacobman said:
I heard that the duel 12v 15amp rails wasnt powerful enough for me wanting to overclock my venice to the limits. Otherwise i really like the AX500-A and getting it off newegg would put me under my limits also.
I've seen several people running 2.6-2.8ghz on the AX500-A so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Jacobman said:

The only time I have ever seen a problem with dual-rail PSU's is when running dual Xeon set-ups that require a REALLY strong 12v line.

Buy From Monarch Computer Systems! NO TAX IN CALIFORNIA!!!!
That will save you enough money + lower prices to get you an upgrade!

Here are some specs with some upgrades all prices without +shipping are free!

DFI Ultra-D : 129.00
Proc: AMD 64 3200+(OEM) $190
HS: Thermalright XP-120 $58 + $7 Shipping
RAM: OCZ GoldVX $166
FAN: Antec 120mm SmartCool Case Fan $18 + $6 Shipping
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W $120 +$8 shipping
VID: ATi Connect3d X800XL $250
Total $952

(There is NO tax and STILL more room to upgrade)

Last edited:
get the sparkle 550! it's the same power as the powerstream at $30 less or so at newegg

A Good Lesson for a lot of Buyers

Jacobman
Your question has brought up many lessons a lot of people here and other places need to know.It has been address by several people on several threads
but not all in one place:
1) Newegg is a great place to buy but there are several others and when you check specific items you can often save $50 to $100 for a computer.This is not ment to be a complete list but here are some sellers many members have confidence in and use:Newegg,Monarch,ZipZoomFly.Mwave and others.
2) These places as well as others often have shipping discounts that can provide addational savings.Some places (not newegg) will charge you full shipping if you order one item but as you load up your cart the shipping
becomes less than full price as more items are shipped.(example:at Mwave one cable cost $4 to ship but when I added a second cable even though it was a differant type the shipping for the second was $2 addational and the 3th only added .50 cents more shipping even though all were label $4 each.
3) Even if you live in Calf and are charged tax you can sometimes buy
specific items from another dealer (espically a high price item) and make it worth your while to use another seller.
4) Also you have a option to purchase some items as refurbished and if the right item is selected you could have the manf warrenty and/or a price
discount that might make it worthwhile.
5) As good as Newegg is you will learn that some items Newegg isn't as competive or have as good of selection as some other suppliers (often heatsinks ,fans,and computer cooling items) are these type of items.The key is often just plain research.Sometimes Newegg will lower a price at specific times without notice (like for a weekend) but the price will be higher again on Monday(probably because business usually buy during the week only).They are very good at the pricing game and it takes a lot of research to learn the tricks.
6) Another way to often help youself save a little is to use our specific forums. Your power supply might fit in this catagory. Sometimes a specific item you plan on buying may be the best item but if you explain to the forum
what your needs are someone may know a less expensive product that can still meet your needs and not cost you as much.I have seen forum members
determine a buyers desire to use a ATI vid card and steer them away from a sli board to another that had the same chipset and features (except sli) and save them money but also gave them links to mods that could mod the MB to sli if the member desired it in the future.
Good Luck and Good Computing

Jacobman said:
That is real temping, let me wait and see how it play outs with the ol' p-rents. But i do thank you for the suggestions and am really considering them.

Anyone know any good reviews on this PSU, the SPARKLE FSP550-60PLG?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817103478

Because getting that also puts me under the limit.

That PSU is getting long in the tooth but it is a MONSTER PSU and will power any system that you could buy for a long time. I do believe that it is a server PSU however so the 80mm fans can get quite loud. However that PSU is a beast and will not limit your OC ever.

You can buy the X800XL from Monarch for $250 or buy refurbished. You can get a SPARKLE FSP550-60PLG from ewiz or directron. You can buy a XP-90. I also think that RAM is a waste of money. You can get 2GB of RAM for that price. You can also buy the OEM 3000+ from ewiz for $120.

Just a note, I ordered from Newegg and ewiz with standard ground shipping last week and both packages arrived at the front door three days later together. Better shipping than I expected from ewiz. Items as expected on both orders.

Albigger said:
Definately get that PSU. It's what I've used to power two different dual xeon (overclocked of course) rigs, it shouldn't let you down.

Is that PSU by any means short of plugs? I looked at that and the OCZ and the OCZ had like twice as many, at least in the pictures it did.

I think all of you have put some since into me, so im gonna open my horizen and look at some other sights that you have mentioned. :)

Back