• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What sort of airflow for the Black Ice Extremes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xylo

Registered
I am buying either a BIP.2 or BIX.2 soon, and I'm trying to figure out which....

I know given the thicker nature of the BIX that it really needs more air flow to benefit...but I've never seen any specifics on just what sort of CFM or pressure people are talking about?

What sort of fans are needed to make good use of a BIX? And below what, should one just use a BIP instead?

Thanks!
Xylo

The BIX really excels when it comes to high flow (90+cfm) fans. The BIP is more for the lower/medium ranges say 60cfm max. If you want quiet fans the BIP is the better choice due to its less restrictive nature. However if you don't care about noise than the BIX is a better choice. Could you please tell us what fans you consider noisy and what quiet is to you?

I'm running a BIX.3 with these Evercool fans.

http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...roduct_Code=FAN-AL-12025BM&Category_Code=120F

They are bigger then plastic fans. I mounted mine with one shaved off 25mm thick fan in the center to make it all work out. I had to thin the middle fan to get everything to line up. The Evercool fans are like 122mm sq, the normal plastic fans are 119mm-120mm normally. That extra 2mm of metal makes a mess of installing them on BIX BIP 2's and 3's.

At 7v they flow around 55-60CFM estimated. At 12v 80CFM, they have an air rushing sound at full speed but not annoying at all. With them set at 7v they are almost silent with no increase in max CPU temp at full 100% load for 12 hours+. I can just barely tell the water has any warmth at all. Its just over room temps, the rad is still cool to the touch.

I need to take some pictures anyways, if your interest in seeing they way I have it setup in a PC73SLB I'll get some pictures posted.

SewerBeing said:
The BIX really excels when it comes to high flow (90+cfm) fans. The BIP is more for the lower/medium ranges say 60cfm max. If you want quiet fans the BIP is the better choice due to its less restrictive nature. However if you don't care about noise than the BIX is a better choice. Could you please tell us what fans you consider noisy and what quiet is to you?

1) 60CFM max??...but then you say 90+ for the BIX...that leaves a gap in the middle?...

2) Not sure what I consider noisy, as I have no idea what the sound rating on any of the fans I have used before so far to date are...sigh...

yes that leaves a gap in the middle and the BIX is slowly pulling ahead there. The differences are large when you keep it outside that middle gap. However we cannot help you select a fan unless you can tell us how loud/quiet you want it to be.

Crossover seems to occur with around 80CFM rated fans according to some test data I read over at Procooling.

If using fans <80CFM, or if you intend to undervolt higher rated fans, then go with the BIP. If running fans at >80CFM, go with the BIX.

I would imagine that if doing push-pull that cross-over will occur at a slightly lower level, although what that is has not yet been established.

Back