• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking DVD backups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skotti

I have been backing up DVD's for a while now and have no problems.
My questions are:
what rig and DVD burners do you guys have and what times are you getting?

does any one know where the bottleneck is on backing up DVD?

What is everyones burnt toast ratios?(Coaster/Total number of burns)

I ask because I have a new plextor 716sa (Sata), P4C800 E dx, Maxtor 300GB diamond 10 Sata with 16MB cache and P4 clocked at 3.8 and it takes 45 mins to backup a DVD and 8 mins to burn. Almost perfect burns <1% bad.

My mom's 8x TDK (model u/k) with a soyo dragon MB and P4 @ 2.4 and 200MB IDE takes 55 mins and 10 mins to burn. Not so perfect 4-8% bad.

with the difference is computer shouldn't there be a bigger gap it times. Or is there a bottleneck that I am missing

Full back-ups ...about 30 minutes ; burns about 8-9 minutes on Nec 3500a/3520a (on system in sig) . I use Fuji 8X +R's that burn automaticly at 16X with Nero 6.6 and no coasters , errors or bad copies todate .

The bottleneck is on the writer itself. While several different burners offer 8x writing speed, depending on the quality and ect. of the burner, you're not going to get the same write times. You cannot overclock a DVD, DVD burner or anything else to make it write beyond its rated speed with the exception of DVD burners that can be flashed to add certain write modes and speeds.

it depends on the burner. not all burners will write taking the same amount of time, no matter if they are all set to 8x or not. they're very close, in most cases but not the same.

that said, I will usually rip/decrpyt a regular DVD (approx time 8 min), then use DVD Shrink (approx 30-40min on high Q), and burn (8x, around 8min).

I've done over 500, no bad ones. It's very dependent on the media and the burner, and their compatibility with each other.

I knew you could not OC the drive itself. Shouldn't the 16x drive read close to twice as fast as the 8x? so the 55min @ 8x = about 30 min @ 16x. I understand the x is maximum speed not true speed and disk read at diffenent speeds depending on the location but still the 10 minutes difference seems poor to me.

that's assuming that the reader will read at 16x the whole way through. most commercial dvd's can be ripped at 16x MAX, but start may only be 4x.

I don't know how you got those numbers (55min at 8x and 30min at 16x). Can you explain that to me?

It can do done in under 30min but I prefer to let the program do a deep analysis and other things to keep the quality as high as possible.

skotti said:
I have been backing up DVD's for a while now and have no problems.
My questions are:
what rig and DVD burners do you guys have and what times are you getting?
i650 @4GHZ, 1GB DDR2, i955X, Plextor 716 (PATA). Using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 for software.

Title backup of "The Incredibles" (Keep main movie title (all three angles), AC3 English sound, and English subtitles, remove menus):
clonedvd10em.gif

clonedvd24sn.gif

Rip & Transcode: 10:18
Write: 8:21
Total Time: 18:39

That's with a Verbatim 4x:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 02RG20 ]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 02RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

skotti said:
does any one know where the bottleneck is on backing up DVD?
Depends on your system. You have three main issues: #1) Reading the movie off the disc, #2) Transcoding the movie to fit on a DVD-5 disc, and #3) Writing the movie.

Reading the movie obviously depends on your DVD reader. Different readers read at different speeds. Some can be flashed to read at higher speeds. I have a Lite-on SOHD-16P9S which at default speeds reads a pressed dual layer DVD at 8x max (average of 6.26x):
dvdstock4am.gif

Using hacked firmware the above backup was done with the reader reading at 12x max (average of 9.09x):
dvd12x0fc.gif

This drive can be set to 14x or 16x as well, but it will not read all discs at those speeds and it's annoying when it drops down to 1x or 2x so I leave it set at 12x.

Transcoding the movie depends mostly on your processor (and memory). Because the disc rips the fastest in the middle of the movie the processor load changes as the backup progresses. With my setup (ripping at 12x max) the processor load starts out at ~30%HT (~60% real), peaks at 45%HT (90% real), and then drops down to ~30%HT (~60% real) again. IMHO this indicates that my setup is rip drive speed limited. With a slower processor I might be rip drive speed limited at the begining and end, but processor speed limited in the middle of the backup. A slow hard drive could also be a bottleneck with a fast ripper (12x = 16MB/s sustained write) but any newish drive should have no problem with this.

Writing the movie depends entirely on the writer and the media (as long as the hard drive can read the data fast enough).

skotti said:
What is everyones burnt toast ratios?(Coaster/Total number of burns)
Do people really still get frisbees? I havn't had one in years.

skotti said:
...with the difference is computer shouldn't there be a bigger gap it times. Or is there a bottleneck that I am missing
What's the CPU load on the systems?

Oh, and 13:23 to rip/transcode the whole disc (retaining all menus and material, squish to fit DVD-5). Write time identical (8:21), so a total time of 21:44.

Back