• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anybody have spare, relatively small decent hard drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Romano3490

Hi, as you can see in my sig, I have very bad hard drives. I've reused them time and time again becuase I never thought they were an essential part. My load times are just horrible though.

I am somewhat of a nub when it comes to storage options. I know that mine are IDE though. I am fed up with how slow they are, and want to upgrade them now.

I have a new 2.7ghz DTR / DFI LP UT / 1gb Crucial ram coming in soon. I am a little strapped for cash becuase of it. What do you guys suggest to get. I only need 20-30gigs of storage total. I have about $30 to spend.

Last edited:
Yes there is a classifed section, but you need 100 posts before you have access to it.

If I were you, I would just browse some of newegg's offerings. You can get a new hard drive with warranty that fits your bill for around 50 bucks.

I saw a nice Hitachi for $60. I don't need 80gigs though and that is a out of my price range. I am looking to spend ~$30.

I plan on just trashing my 5400. Could I use my old 7200 in Raid 0 with the new one though. I am sorry, but I have been out of the HD scene for a long time.

Right now, my good hard drive is a SeaGate Barricuda 7200rpm 2mb buffer ATA 100 I think. Is it that bad. Somebody offered me a similar 30gb 7200rpm 2mb buffer drive for $20. How much faster would it be if I replaced my 5400 with that and ran raid 0.

Romano3490 said:
I saw a nice Hitachi for $60. I don't need 80gigs though and that is a out of my price range. I am looking to spend ~$30.

I plan on just trashing my 5400. Could I use my old 7200 in Raid 0 with the new one though. I am sorry, but I have been out of the HD scene for a long time.

you can only use them in a RAID0 if they're exactly the same drive.

and no trading outside of the classifieds better edit that out before a mod has to come tell you.

I edited it out. Does raid 0 really help that much? Are there any decent hard drives I could get to replace my 5400 for $30. I would have my barricuda as a storage and page file and the new one as my main drive.

Romano3490 said:
I edited it out. Does raid 0 really help that much? Are there any decent hard drives I could get to replace my 5400 for $30. I would have my barricuda as a storage and page file and the new one as my main drive.

I would look on ebay and see if you can't score yourself a used (or new!) 40~GB drive for $30, a RAID0 with 7200rpm drives would probally give a noticeable difference over one 7200rpm, if you're talking about RAID0ing two 5400rpms drives then i say forget about it, one 7200rpm would be faster, find yourself a nice 7200rpm 8mb cache drive and you'll be very happy...then when you get tired of that you can pick yourself up a Raptor :)

Back